Need Truck Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Truck Info

I was visiting a friend of mine over the weekend and he told me that he had bought an old truck from a salvage yard. So he showed it to me, and setting in his barn was a 1962 Studebaker Champ 1/2 ton shortbed pickup. Now I don't know a lot about the pickups but I told him I would buy it from him and I think he is going to sell it to me. Its a V8 and 4-speed with 26K miles(?) on it. The numbers on it are E7-16489 and model 7E7-112. I was wondering if anybody had any info on such a thing. It even has a sliding rear window! Its all complete, but will need floorboards.
    It should go good with my '56 Powerhawk. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks...

It is indeed a 1962, with 112" wheelbase (short bed) and it was fairly early in '62 (starting # 16201)

Standard engine was a 259... but it could be a 289. We'd have to have the engine serial number.

Floorboards are easy [}]... check here:

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Thanks Studeman. I have to get it home and see how extensive the floors are, but I appreciate your tutorial on the floor replacement. That just might be the way to do it....

Comment

DEFINITELY check out the truck forum- another great group, and full of truck experts:

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If this truck has a sliding rear window it should also have a a chrome grille. The sliding rear window was part of the delux trim option but could also be purchaeded deperately. If it does have a chrome grille it should also havefender trim as this was the third part of the trim option. The bed is known as a Spaceside bed and was standard in 1962. Tooling was purchased from Dodge and actually put into production in SB in late Jan 61. These are great trucks really good work vehicles and fun to play with. I own a late 61 with one of the less than 700 short beds made with the Spaceside box on it. As stated earlier, the V-8 should be a 259 but could be a 289 and only the serial# will tell.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

My 61 Champ is also a shortbed spaceside with a 259 & 4 speed. When I bought it in the summer of 89, it was at a police impound sale in Van Nuys, California. It didn't have keys or good tires, so I had it towed home, replaced the 16" wheels with 15" mags, installed a Stude ignition cylinder & have been driving it ever since. You will find your truck will require minimal upkeep & be very dependable! If yours has the 4 speed, does it have the heavy duty clutch? Mine did & it required ALOT of pressure to work it, so I had mine rebuilt with a few springs taken out of the pressure plate to make it more manageable to drive. Another qwirk your truck probably has is the clutch pedal arm, it should be very short but have a curl that brings it even with the brake pedal. I replaced mine with one from a stick shift Lark. It's arm is longer, so it has better leverage & is easier to operate. Why that was made like that, I don't know! Enjoy your truck & welcome to the forum!!

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hello, cooldad72; If I may, I want to decode your model and serial numbers. It will place your new Studebaker truck in the greater scheme of Studedom.

Model Code- [u]7E7-112</u>

7......this digit signifies a Studebaker truck built in the 1962 model year.

E......indicates the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1955 through 1964. The 'E' series followed the former 'R' series.

7......code for a 1/2 ton rated chassis with a standard 259 c.i. V8 engine. Three other engines, including 289 V8 engines, were options from the factory at extra cost.

112....indicates the wheelbase of the truck from center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel in inches. The size was referred to as a 'shortwheel base or shorty' truck. There was also a 122 inch, or 'long wheelbase' model. If a pickup, the 112" truck had a 6 1/2 foot box, the 122" truck had an 8 foot box.

Serial (chassis) Number- [u]7E-16489</u>
              7.....same as above

E.....same as above

16489.the sequence of order in which this model came off the assembly line. This truck was the 288th E7 truck to come off the assembly line in 1962. Studeman has already indicated the beginning serial number for 1962.

If you'll check your engine number (on the right, front, top of the
              engine-as you look at it- on a machined pad behind the fan blade) you can determine which of four V8 engines your truck may have. If the first two digits are:
              3E...it is a standard 259 V8
              5E...it is a heavy duty 259 V8 (optional at extra cost)
              7E...it is a standard 289 V8 (optional at extra cost)
              6E...it is a heavy duty 289 V8 (optional at extra cost)

Hope this helps.

Frank Drumheller
              Louisa, VA
              60S-W6
              1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I don't have the truck home yet so I can't get the numbers. It doesn't have a chrome grill but it has some chrome on the sides. And yes, it has a weird clutch pedal. It is the spacesaver bed. Very interesting. Okay, I will find out more and let you all know what I have. Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                X