Hawk wheel centering - hub or studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk wheel centering - hub or studs

My Hawk is 40 miles away, and I'm trying to use a spare wheel to make a seized brake loosening tool. I've got 2 50s Studebaker wheels here at home, and a pair of 70s Plymouth wheels with the right bolt pattern. The Plymouth wheels' inner hole is about 1/4 inch smaller than Studebaker wheels. I was getting ready to torch one of the Plymouth holes larger, but noticed that pictures of Avanti rear wheels show no pilot on the rear hub big enough to engage and center the wheel.
    http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/image..._brakes_02.JPG.

The part book shows the front hub as having a larger protruding section than the rear, but I could not find a good picture anywhere to see if the wheel is centered on the hub, as is the modern method.

When I zoom in on ths picture it looks like the hub is small.
    Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

The wheel is centered by the studs... However, the front hub diameter is large compared to most other cars (~2 1/2"). The center hole on a Late Stude wheel is 2 5/8"

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Wow, my pictures are showing up everywhere......

Yah, old school cars used the studs to center the wheel, the new cars
      use a machined area on the hub. Either works, though the new way is a
      more accurate, and consistant way. I think it was a cost saving idea.
      The old cars seem to use larger studs than the new cars. They probably
      found that it saved them 5 dollars per car to go with smaller studs.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
      X