No announcement yet.

SASCO runs out of roof rack crossbars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASCO runs out of roof rack crossbars!

I've been piecing together a roof rack for my Wagonaire for awhile now. I just ordered the front-to-back and side-to-side crossbars, and the stanchion pads from SASCO. They only had the front-to-back crossbars and 3 stanchion pads (the stanchions themselves have been out of stock for years).

If any body has 2 of those side-to-side crossbars in any condition, I'd like to buy them. I know that's unlikely though, because no one is going to break up a good roof rack set to sell 2 of the bars. Instead, can someone measure their crossbars and tell me how long they are and their diameter? If I know those dimensions, the bars should be fairly simple to make - unlike the front-to-back crossbars, which have multiple bends, these crossbars should just be straight tubes.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

I don't know what the newer bars look like, but I had all four of my 56 wagon bars repo'd at a boat shop out of ss bar and they handled the compound bends to perfection. In fact they ened up with only two bars as they were so good they bent one long piece to replace three. If anyone would need the old ones for patterns they are available. If the ones you need are the same as a 56 I can get you those measurements ASAP. Good luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

The cross tubes are 3/4" OD, though they have been flattened slightly to oval shape with only about 6" on each end still round. I'm sure you can make nice new tubes out of polished stainless steel tubing, 0.039" wall. The ends need to be fish-mouthed to meet the front-to-back tubes, then glue a wooden plug insde for the screws to catch. I haven't quite figured out how to ovalize them uniformly for part of their length. Perhaps a big press brake will do. I think they were made oval so that they wouldn't "sing".

I've got reproduction rubber strips for the 5 stainless slats. I had the stuff made but there hasn't been a big demand, LOL.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gees Gary! That should be the last straw! How dare you distract us from the written word with a moving avatar?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks again, Gary.

What are the lengths of the tubes? I plan on making some mockups with wooded dowels until I can make some metal tubes. I need the tube lengths in order to use the Studebaker factory rack mounting instructions.

Also, do you have more of the repro rubber for the slats?

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Jeez Gary, you are getting entirely too geeky! I don't know if we will be able to talk to you anymore!!!

You know how to create some kind of video and put it on here? Wow! You're leaving us in the 20th Century! And how did you put a fake background in there?

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X