HELP removing rear axles 66 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP removing rear axles 66 commander

my 66 commander rear wheel bearings need replacing. How do you pull them? I removed the 4 nuts that hold the retainer on does it take a puller to remove the axles? PS it has flanged axles. Doug M

The bearings are a snug fit to the axle housing, unlike a press fit onto the axles themselves. I use what is known as a "Morgan Knokker" as it is an approx 4 lb weight slide hammer & doesnt take much effort to pop the axles out on a flanged axle setup. I've never tried another way, but if you bolted a flat plate on the inside of the axle housing, you might be able to pop the axles out by prying against the plate with a long screwdriver or similar long steel rod against the inner flange of the axle.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks Warren. I went to Auto Zone and rented a slide puller it came right out. Next do I press the old one off?Use heat? I have a press.Doug M

Comment

Make sure you have bearings and seals in hand.
        They sometimes are hard to find!

Comment

'Shouldn't have to use heat, Doug, so don't! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X