Hawk Trunk lid overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Trunk lid overlay

This deals with the trunk lid overlay on the 1962 Hawk G.T. Apparently, when the trunk lid overlay was removed, someone (not me!!) broke the little parallel metal strips where the retainer clips go. Not all are broken, but about half are. My problem is tryng to figure a repair so that I put the retainer clips on and put the overlay back on the car. I have considered using some type of glue to glue the retainer clips to the overlay, but I would then have no "play" with the clips so as to adjust their entry into their respective holes in the trunk lid. Any ideas??

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Perhaps mount the studs of the broken tabs on the deck lid & place some sort of wax that would make an impression where the studs contact while having the studs in place where the good tabs are to make sure the overlay is aligned correctly. Then create a bracket to hold the studs onto the overlay in the right position as found from the wax impression & glue with a 2 part adhesive such as Duramix 4050. Worst case you may have to file some of the holes afterwards but it should do the job.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I used double sided tape. It's been on close to 2 years, and no problems with it.

Pat Skelly
      62 GT Hawk
      53 Studillac
      37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

I've used both double sided tape or thin weatherstrip foam glued on both sides. I "tweaked" the panel a bit for a good fit in the corners.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I like the double sided tape idea. And, thank you for not putting screws through the overlay! []
          Bon chance!
          Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
          1960 Metropolitan Convertible
          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
          1958 Cushman Eagle
          -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
          1960 Metropolitan Convertible
          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
          1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Merci beau coup!!! I like the idea of the double sided tape too. As soon as our unwanted guest, Gustave moves through this area, I can get out and start back on the car!

Comment

Working...
            X