NOS 259 crankshaft observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS 259 crankshaft observation

Bought this from SASCO. Pulled it out of the box and cleaned it up for install. It has to be the roughest built crank I have ever seen! Must have been an assembly line reject as the sides of the throws and the balance holes looked like they were cut with totally worn out bits made in china!! If I were to do it again, I would go ahead and send to a crank shop for a going over. At least the journals looked and specked out good.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Studebaker's overpaid, Union workers and machinists were normally pretty conscientious, careful good people. But when the parts replacement blocks and cranks were made in '64-'65 after line shutdown, what do you think the moral was like?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many service parts were used as parts stock and not quite up to production standards.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Hurwich Iron, South Bend sold a lot of NOS 259 cranks for a very low price in the 1970s. They were still in the original packaging and sold for (IIRC) $20 each. Many vendors bought up large quantities of them. These cranks were factory seconds/defects. By now, probably no one knows the source of some of these parts and what they really are. I am not saying that is definitely what you have, but it sounds like it.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

One of my many jobs in the labor pool at Rockell Standards was sorting out "service bars" from the production bumpers. They could have more then a few defects since the idea was that they'd go on cars that were no longer new anyway. Show bars were also made for show cars, with extra plating and polish.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Was Rockell a Studebaker bumper supplier?

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My years in the auto body field, I have seen numerous times items sold thru the parts distribution system as factory rejects, but sold at a premium price thru their parts systems. Used to really get my goat when I'd get a new hood for a Cadillac & see primer & rough file marks where the repairs were made, then be told to fix it & get paid for just the installation! Still see it going on today & it makes no difference if its u.s. or japanese, they still stuff the supply system with rejects.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

If the journals measure real good ( to size, and less than 0.0002 inch taper and out of round) I would deburr and smooth the crank so it is more pleasant to handle and less likely to shed slivers, swarf and shards. The change in balance from file, dremel and sandpaper deburring is of no consequence. Any crank needs the oil holes scrubbed clean with a gun cleaning brush. Solvent and compressed air are not sufficient. Next to cylinder walls, oil passages are about the most important cleaning area

Comment

Thru the years, I've used several of these NOS replacement cranks without a problem. The only goof I ever had was when Newman & Altman sent me a V8 crank as part of a 6cylinder engine kit![8]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X