Classy Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classy Ride

The instrument panel is the same as the 29 I once had, buy the rest of it is quite different(G)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1929-...142618QQihZ001

I just read the description of the car and posted a bit of it below.

"IT HAS 30,000 ACTUAL MILES...AND HAS BEEN CERTIFIED BY THE STUDEBAKER CLUB OF AMERICA AND BY THE STUDEBAKER MUSEUM IN SOUTH BEND, INDIANA... AS THE ONLY STUDEBAKER OF ITS KIND EVER PRODUCED

THIS FANTASTIC VEHICLE IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF A KIND"

Is anyone familiar the "Studebaker Club of America"? Personally, before I ever spent anywhere close to $120K on a car I would want far more information on it than the seller is offering.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

"IT HAS 30,000 ACTUAL MILES...AND HAS BEEN CERTIFIED BY THE STUDEBAKER CLUB OF AMERICA AND BY THE STUDEBAKER MUSEUM IN SOUTH BEND, INDIANA... AS THE ONLY STUDEBAKER OF ITS KIND EVER PRODUCED

Is anyone familiar the "Studebaker Club of America"? Personally, before I ever spent anywhere close to $120K on a car I would want far more information on it than the seller is offering.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

I'm sure the great Richard Quinn knows all there is to know about this car. If I ever get the chance, I'd like to pick his brains for a couple of hours.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

I'm sure the great Richard Quinn knows all there is to know about this car. If I ever get the chance, I'd like to pick his brains for a couple of hours.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

quote: Is anyone familiar the "Studebaker Club of America"?
            I see that "Studes of America" stuff all the time, never have found much while Googling except more references (probably incorrect) to "The Studebaker Club of America". I figure it's bogus.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote: Is anyone familiar the "Studebaker Club of America"?
              I see that "Studes of America" stuff all the time, never have found much while Googling except more references (probably incorrect) to "The Studebaker Club of America". I figure it's bogus.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Is anyone familiar the "Studebaker Club of America"? .
                Yes, there was such a club about 25 years ago -- sort of a competitor to SDC. (Think about the current situation WRT Packards -- two competing clubs fighting over the slowly diminishing number of people interested in a dead car make.)

Anyway, I think I may have actually have been a member for a year or so, but have been unable to find any evidence, like an old newsletter. It's been quite a while since I've seen any ads for it, so it must have ceased operations long ago. So how do you get a "certification" from a club that doesn't exist?[?]

Skip
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes, there was such a club about 25 years ago -- sort of a competitor to SDC. (Think about the current situation WRT Packards -- two competing clubs fighting over the slowly diminishing number of people interested in a dead car make.)

Anyway, I think I may have actually have been a member for a year or so, but have been unable to find any evidence, like an old newsletter. It's been quite a while since I've seen any ads for it, so it must have ceased operations long ago. So how do you get a "certification" from a club that doesn't exist?[?]

Skip
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Yes, there was such a club about 25 years ago -- sort of a competitor to SDC.
                    Skip,

That was the rather short lived Studebaker [u]Automobile</u> Club of America. I joined when they started and was the District Governor of Virginia. I still have a bunch of letterhead paper, envelopes and $.13 stamps they sent me (in addition to the newsletters and magazines).

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Yes, there was such a club about 25 years ago -- sort of a competitor to SDC.
                      Skip,

That was the rather short lived Studebaker [u]Automobile</u> Club of America. I joined when they started and was the District Governor of Virginia. I still have a bunch of letterhead paper, envelopes and $.13 stamps they sent me (in addition to the newsletters and magazines).

Gary

Comment

$120k Commander Touring

Originally posted by Guido View Post

Personally, before I ever spent anywhere close to $120K on a car I would want far more information on it than the seller is offering.
                        [/b]
                        Not that anyone really cares anymore, but ran across this thread so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents about what I know of this car to set the record straight. The following information is from my personal conversations with the past owner who sold the car to a man in Canada in the 1980's, at the time I was looking at buying the car, but missed it by one day before it went to the Canadian buyer. This 1929 Commander 8 Tourer was originally sold by a dealership in Pennsylvania and was painted two tone blue. In the 1960's the car was taken to a Studebaker Dealership and had the body modified with a "Dual Cowl" in the rear section. Studebaker never made a "Dual Cowl" phaeton and eventually the car ended up being sold to someone in Canada. In the 1992 the car was advertised in Hemmings (see attached pic) by that Canadian owner and sold to a retired police officer in Ohio, he partially restored the car, painted it (two tone brown) as it is seen in the attached color photo, and put it up for auction at the Auburn Indiana Kruse auction 2001 where is sold for 29k. The car eventually ended up in the hands of an Auto restoration shop which did a ground up restoration on the car. It ended up at another auction and was sold to a man in Del Mar California for a little over 110k, the story claiming the car was the only Studebaker factory built "Dual Cowl Phaeton" ever built was continued by the Auction House and the car brought in a price it did not deserve. IF Studebaker would have built a "Dual Cowl phaeton", they would not have done it on a small 120" inch wheelbase Commander chassis, they would have at least used the 125" Wheelbase FH President, if not the large 135" FE. In addition, most car manufacturers of the Era built Dual Cowl Phaetons on the large frames and custom built the bodies close coupled where the rear of the body ended in the center on the rear wheels like the Studebaker President Brougham body. This car was not a factory built car, it was a 1960's owner modification, by a Studebaker Dealership.....plain and simple. I just feel sorry for the people who buy cars based on what they are led to believe on a cars history instead of the real facts. I was able to speak to the gentleman in Del Mar California who bought the car and re-educated him on its true history. Time will tell if, when he decides to sell the car, he passes on the "real" history, or he decides to recover some of his investment by passing on the made up version of this being a "one of a kind" "only one ever built by Studebaker" load of crap to a less informed and gullible buyer.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Since it is not authentic, he could just give it to me and I would take really good care of it.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Interesting to see the firewall tag or serial number plate.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                              Interesting to see the firewall tag or serial number plate.
                              Chassis No. 8010780

Comment

Working...
                              X