PDA

View Full Version : Rear 1/4 windows on a '55 hardtop

Studebayker
11-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I've been working on the Quarter windows of my'55 stude for about 2 weeks off,and on. Boy you talk about an exercise in futility. The last MORON left most of the parts off the windows. I bought a shop
manual from Stephen Allen to guide me. It don't mention there is supposed to be a roller in the vertical giude, and I had to use
hardware store springs, and I'm still close to square 1. Does anyone
have any input(sympathy)?

James K. Clark
East Tenn.
'55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Blue 15G
11-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't know but I am interested in your problem since the right quarter window on my '54 K has a 1/2 inch gap between its leading edge and the rear edge of the door window, and this is with both windows fully rolled up. At least I don't worry much about carbon monoxide poisoning while driving. There is a section in the shop manual describing how to adjust this fit, but I haven't attempted it yet. Let us know how you make out.

klifton1
11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Studebayker
What is the actual problem? Did you get the rollers?
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

Roscomacaw
11-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Blue15, the rear windows are supposed to kick forward at the very last part of their rollup. Then kick back that amount when you first start to roll them down. Do your's kick forward or backwards at the top of their travel?
At the lower end of the window guide, there's a seperate access panel from the one that allows removal of the regulator. There's slotted adjustment provisions there that's supposed to make it possible to move the glass forward or reward to align it to the rear edge of the door glass.:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Blue 15G
11-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks much, Mr. Biggs! I haven't looked at my window problem up close for awhile, but I will keep your directions for when I get around to tackling it.

Now I hope someone can help Studebayker with his problem. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Studebayker
11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Most of the stuff I have used so far are hardware store items. The
rollers are for windows. The ones with the rounded edges fit the
vertical guide perfectly, but they only use a 10-24 screw. There
is very little strain on these rollers. The springs are #47 springs
from same hardware store. My biggest problem is getting the roller
on the winder to move correctly in the dog-leg to correctly seat
the glass where the door glass meets the quarter window. Yes I have
adjusted the winder more times than I can count. Stay tuned,I don't
have enough sense to know when to quit.

James K. Clark
East Tenn
!55 Prez 2dr Hdtp.

James K. Clark

dictator27
11-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Studebayker and Blue15G. Couple of hints about the rear 1/4 window mechanisms on 53-55 K's. Make sure all sliding/pivoting points are well greased with a light grease. Mr. Biggs advice about the adjustment at the bottom of the vertical guide is good but check out the spring which goes from the top of the vertical guide to the anchor point at the rear of the window. If it is weak the vertical guide will not move properly affecting smooth operation of the window.

Studebayker
11-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Today I installed new rollers, and cut one of the #47 springs down
by about 1 inch. The window gap would be gone, and the spring would
pull the window back about 1/2 inch. I made some new rollers out of
aluminum with a 1/4 bolt hole instead of the 10-24 screws. They
work a little better, but not worth the half day of lathe work. The
windows will roll up, and down, but they need a little help when
the roller hits the dogleg at the top, but the gap is closed between the glasses. I think this can be because this stuff is 50 years old.
and has some slack in it. I hope this will help some one down the
road. Now back to the ring, and rod bearing job before South Bend!
Thanks for following my thread.

James K.Clark
East Tenn.
'55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.

James K. Clark