President Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Hardtop

Will a'59-'62 Lark windshield fit my President(My recently acquired project)I'm just trying to save another one-Thanks,Tom

ffu
    ffu

It's a '58 Starlight hardtop

ffu
    ffu

Comment

Not an expert on this one, but I do know that the windshields to a 59-60 are unique. I was talking to a fellow SDC member at a local meet with a 58 president and was amazed at how much of the interior dash, windshield and roof line looked like the 59-60 Larks. If they truly match, I wouldn't be surprised, but folks like Studerich, BP, Dwain G. and many others will know for sure. The convertible front door wind vent frames are the same as those and the Packard hardtops, too, I am pretty sure.

Comment

I used to own a'59 Lark-It's hard to believe Studebaker would have changed the windshield when they shortened the body.I haven't seen a '58 President windshield listed for sale on "E"-Bay.Also,is a'66 Commander 2dr.sedan(6cyl.3 on the tree,no overdrive)worth much?

ffu
        ffu

Comment

odd; the (wraparound) Late '55 to '58 Sedan & Wagon are the same.
          The '59-'60 Lark & '60-'64 Champ Truck are the same.
          The '61-'62 Lark are the same.

Yes all three ARE different!

Check the engine for a 194 or a 230 GM 6 Cyl.
          A '66 Comm. 2 Dr. is worth whatever the QUALITY of it tells you!
          It's all about Condition, Condition, Condition!
          A Canadian rust bucket-parts car 100-500
          A complete running car [u]needing</u> everything to be driver/show 1000-1500
          A nice condition one needing nothing 2500-3500
          Also, it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so can vary A LOT![:0]

quote:Originally posted by oddenuff

I used to own a'59 Lark-It's hard to believe Studebaker would have changed the windshield when they shortened the body.I haven't seen a '58 President windshield listed for sale on "E"-Bay.Also,is a'66 Commander 2dr.sedan(6cyl.3 on the tree,no overdrive)worth much?ffu
          StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Check the engine for a 194 or a 230 GM 6 Cyl.
            I will add a 230 with a standard is very rare! Originally, the 230 was available only with an automatic, but starting in January, 1966, the standard was made available.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for all the info-I might have to go to Lancaster to find one.I had a'65 commander 2dr for a short time,it had a 6cyl standard no overdrive-it seemed to be really good on gas and would easily cruise at 70 mph.Studebaker never did get rid of their inherent rust traps(inner fenders might have helped)The car I'm looking at is probably worth in the 1000.00-1500.00 range

ffu
              ffu

Comment

If you ever want to sell that President Hardtop, look me up, or reply back here and I will forward you my contact info. Thanks, James

Comment

oddenuff-
                  I don't believe we have chatted but I have a little website & registry about 58 hardtops. www.studebakerhardtop.com And it's been pretty slow news lately! These things don't pop up everyday. Drop me a line, I would very much like to add your car on this list, copy you the registry, maybe post a picture. Fun stuff.

Dan
                  52 hardtop

Comment

Studerich:

I, as a Canadian, do wish to advise that Studebaker rustbuckets are common in the Northeast U.S., as well as some parts of Canada. Some parts of Canada have excellent rust-free cars.

In addition, many good cars have changed hands between countries. Therefore, respectfully, a rustbucket is what it is, regardless of country, and is not necessarily found in Canada.

Paul R

Comment

55s,maybe StudeRich meant a Canadian made rust bucket.I've had a few of those and they were all under $500.00

ffu
                      ffu

Comment

55s; I would have said a Western Washington rustbucket, if Odd had lived here! Lol!

As you say a rustbucket IS after all, a RUSTBUCKET!

However cars that could be "builders" left out in the weather as they are everywhere, SURVIVE in many climates, and in the Northerly climates such as Canada, NEVER! So that is the only distinction. Naturally, the pampered ones can be as nice as from anywhere. [^]

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Studerich:
                        I, as a Canadian, do wish to advise that Studebaker rustbuckets are common in the Northeast U.S., as well as some parts of Canada. Some parts of Canada have excellent rust-free cars.
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any pictures, Odd?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hey Bob,I'll push it out of the bat cave to get some decent pictures and figure out how to list them-it' a real cream puff.It deteriorated under a carport in northwest Georgia since 1969.Rumor has it the previous owner lost his life while working on it(front end not supported properly)The heads were in the trunk-intake and carb gone.I drained the oil(I mean water-4 quarts water 1 quart oil) when I got it home.And yes,I used jack stands.I somehow managed to get the pistons out.They were starting to look like they were part of the block.It looks like I'm stuck with a good standard bore block and the main and rod bearings almost look like new.Surprisingly only the front and rear crank journals didn't like the extended soak.The odometer shows 47,500 miles.It still has the original rear "u"-joint and it feels like new.The frame and floors are good(some rust at outer edges and below rear 1/4 windows)If you scrape off the Georgia red dirt you can still get see factory paint-even on the control arms.It's a big project but a very solid starting point.

ffu
                            ffu

Comment

The Hamilton plant produced quality-built cars in 1965 and 1966, designed to Studebaker standards, unfortunately including the inherent rust-trap fenders. The Canadian interiors, especially in 1966, were the among the nicest ever produced.

Unfortunately, in southern Ontario, salt started being used on the highways (around the late 60s?) to melt snow. Snow is just water, and doesn't hurt cars as long as it doesn't contain acid. Acid rain doesn't help finishes or paint. Unfortunately, we also get quite a bit of blow by from coal fired electrical plants. The only Ontario coal fired plant was shut down a few years ago.

Added to that is the fact that sitting on wet ground, once the rust had started in the metal, is also deadly to a car.

By the way, Odd, have you seen Tony`s nice 58 green Commander HT in your travels. (Holland Marsh area) I also have a good 58 purple and white Commander HT, not currently running.

Paul R

Comment

Working...
                              X