Generic parts starting to get hard to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic parts starting to get hard to get

When I pulled the heads on my '64 Hawk a few weeks back I noticed that someone had replaced one of the head bolts with one with an odd sized head and tapered shaft. I had gotten head bolts before from my local Napa, which has rarely disappointed me in the past (they still have the books and don't mind taking the time to help finding parts for Studebakers or Hudsons). Anyway, I went to where they usually were and found empty drawers. I asked the manager what the deal was and he said that Dorman had been slowly discontinuing quite few of the old standard items, and head bolts were one of them. Apparently, not much call and the new cars use one time use head bolts, once stretched they are through and you get new ones for a rebuild. He checked another nearby NAPA and no dice. I finally found one in some of my parts stashes but it was a surprise that something like this would start being obsoleted.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

This rings true, Dan. I went in today for a PCV valve and was told they had one in stock in the whole state - in Sacramento.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have 3, 5 gallon pails of head bolts if anyone needs them.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I have 3, 5 gallon pails of head bolts if anyone needs them.[
        Only 3? I thought you worked on Studes for a living (supplement) now...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

What is the NAPA number for those head bolts please?

Comment

I do not know the part number, the tag for it had been removed from the bin and I did not ask the manager the number at the time.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
            X