Decroming a 53 hard top.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decroming a 53 hard top.

I am planning the restoration of a 53 hard top.
    It will be a daily driver in South Bend.
    I am going to sand blast the bumbers, grille,rear lights housings, and paint them all.
    Question:
    Can I leave out the molding from the front and rear glass,
    or will the rubber be too small to hold the glass in the body?
    Thanks.
    Paul

See madmike's flush mounted windshield post!

You guys, always trying to "improve" the perfect car! [}][V]

Don't we have a smilie face with the "Snoopy" with a Black Cloud over his head someplace?

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think there is a Lark/sedan gasket that is the same shape as the C/K but without the channel for the stainless moulding. You could only use it if you bought it in lengths and not pre-molded or seamed. I'm pretty sure Bill Fennessey in Nashville has it and will sell it that way...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I did exactly that with my '54 coupe with no problems. Most of the reproduction rubber is slightly oversize anyway, and I don't think the moulding makes much difference one way or the other.
        [img][/img]

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
        1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
        1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
        1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Steve, Every picture that you post of the cars you own are beautiful. I like the coupe and the convertible, I am really anxious to see what you're gonna do w/ the 53 HT. Is it moving along towards completion? is there any thing special that you're doing with it that you'd care to share? Some of my best ideas are ones stolen from somebody else.[}]

Don't talk about what you are going to do,... talk about what you have DONE.

Comment

Steve-The wheels, hubcaps and blackout around the windows are a nice touch, works very well. Great looking car.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, and yes most of "my" ideas are stolen from other people. After finishing the convertible, I wanted something a bit more practical as a daily driver. The blackout trim started out as an economic decision (the potmetal was terrible), but turned into a styling theme. It still has the flathead 6, but I replaced the 3spd with a T5.

The 53 Starliner "project" is actually my first Studebaker (it's the car with the Constellation on inside cover of last months TW). That picture was taken almost 15 years ago. It has a "gentlemans chop" and at that time was powered by a Turbo Buick V6. Unfortunately, a flood and mudslide in '96 messed it up a little bit. Currently, my son-in-law and I are "re-restoring" it. Probably end up with a 383 stroker & T5.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
              1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
              1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

See madmike's flush mounted windshield post!

You guys, always trying to "improve" the perfect car! [}][V]

Don't we have a smilie face with the "Snoopy" with a Black Cloud over his head someplace?

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                If I thought it was a perfect car,... I wouldn't be messing with it.

I guess I probably would've left it alone if if I was content to putt around in a car that took forever to get up to speed, rode like a dingy in a rough sea when it got there, twisted so bad I couldn't open the door if I had to change a tire, and took longer to stop than a avalanche. AND had become a condominium for Fifel and the rest of his rodent brotheren,.....but since it was so otherwise perfect,.. I admit it! I just had to go and mess w/ divinity[}]

Don't talk about what you are going to do,... talk about what you have DONE.

Comment

Working...
                X