Stude truck at SASCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude truck at SASCO

Looking at my pictures from South Bend last year, and came upon one of a truck sitting at SASCO. I know one thing, I want it! [8D]

So guys, what's the story on this one?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Here are some better pictures of it. For years it sat outside the west wall of building 58. (Standard Surplus building). It was moved out when the building was torn down. I'm glad to see it was saved. I wonder if the old trailers were saved as well?

Comment

Thanks for the pic! So it was a truck at the factory, now I really want it.

Now that I think about it, wasn't this same truck on a Turning Wheels cover? I seem to recall that it was in B&W, and was sitting in the same spot, hooked to that same trailer. Anyone know what issue[?]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

To throw a little redundancy into the mix, here's a few other pictures of that particular truck:

Indeed for years this vehicle sat out hitched to the trailer at N&A. In fact I can't ever remember N&A not having it next to the building. When N&A was torn down this truck was rolled in under the tunnel there and that has where it's been ever since. I dunno Denny's stance on the truck, or the intimate details on the truck, although I've had an eye on it for awhile(probably won't happen though, lol). I do know it will need some cleaning, sanding, and painting(I dare say Dick's Lark Shine) and the truck won't look half bad. I wouldn't be surprised if it need to be gone through mechanically as it sat out there for a lonngggg while before being moved inside. The truck is basically the first thing to greet you when you walk into the back of the building every May meet. Now the situation with the trailers, I would love to know their location as I can't find where they were moved to after the move(fearing the worst as the trailers looked so-so sitting back there after these many years). It would be great to see the older style trailer such as that show up at a show though.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Definitely a neat piece of Stude history and being a 3E series, you know it's a great truck! [^][8D]
          (Did anyone expect me to say something different?)

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Quite some years ago, someone else and myself tried to start the urban legend that the trailer was full of new Paxton stuff.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Quite some years ago, someone else and myself tried to start the urban legend that the trailer was full of new Paxton stuff.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.
              [:0][:0]IT WASN'T???? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Looking at my pictures from South Bend last year, and came upon one of a truck sitting at SASCO. I know one thing, I want it! [8D]

So guys, what's the story on this one?

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Matt, if it's the tractor I believe it is, it most certainly deserves a rightfull spot in a new [u]Studebaker National Truck and War Time Products Museum

Comment

quote:Looking at my pictures from South Bend last year, and came upon one of a truck sitting at SASCO. I know one thing, I want it!
                  That makes two of us, Matt. However, you'll probably have a chance before I ever will! Go for it, kiddo! If you succeed, I have the license to drive for you.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I just forwarded this whole thread to Dennis!

Comment

quote:
                      That makes two of us, Matt. However, you'll probably have a chance before I ever will! Go for it, kiddo! If you succeed, I have the license to drive for you.
                      Three Ron, three.....
                      I remember this truck quite well, and I love the Studebaker semi trucks. However, my eye may say one thing, but my brain says quite another. More power to Matt if he manages to get ahold of it. [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Okay, John, three of us. However, I think it's more like three-hundred of us. Fact remains, even if Dennis gave it away I couldn't afford it.[8] Reeeealy neat truck though...[]

Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That same truck (and the trailers, too) were pictured sitting in the same spot outside N&A in the Automobile Quarterly issue that was largely devoted to Studebaker and the Avanti II. I don't have it handy at the moment, but believe it was around 1974. They were sitting there a long time.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Here's another one in PA that soon will hopefully be in my possession. It is a BBC and although it looks incomplete the missing pieces are in a another building on the property and all there. This one has a 453 Diesel in it.
                            [img][/img]

[img][/img]
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks for the pics guys!! So the truck has some interesting hisory after all... [^]

Don, you just had to remind me of that Diesel... [)]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X