Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger Stude-books

Hie!

I would like to get hold of books that cover the topic Supercharged Studebakers, technical spesifications for the superchargers, the Supercharged engines etc(if such books exist).
    I have read something about R2's and R3's and other supercharged Studes in some "Turning Wheels" magazines that followed in a box with a 1953 Starlight Commander that I bought last year, but I would really like to learn more.

Any recommendations..? In addition to books, info on the internet will also be of great interest.

Stay young - Live life with ROCK'N ROOOOOOLL!!!

1953 Starliner("hot rod" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original).
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

Super Studebakers, from the Studebaker Museum is a good start.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Ralphie, here's a link to the book JDP mentioned:

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you very much for quick replies.

A good start, indeed!

Keep 'em coming!

Comment

http://www.vs57.com/ , is a great place for information about the superchargers, especially the earlier, VS-57. Jim was reluctant to get into the SN-60 and newer.
          There's a whole section about available literature. The patent for the VS-57 provides a lot of insight into the designer's thinking.
          Bob Johnstone's site: http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html#Paxton , has a copy of the VS-57 maintenance manual.
          Mike M.

Comment

Mike, That is VERY interesting information to me.
            I will definitely check it out this afternoon.

Comment

I'm especially interested in "period correct" speed equipment.
              The pictures of the installation kit that mounts the supercharger on top of the engine, at Bob Johnstone's site, might be just what you would want for one of your '53's. The top of the water manifold, between the cylinder heads, is eliminated. Two upper radiator hoses are used; one from each head. This allows the supercharger to be mounted low enough to clear the hood; much lower than the '57 Golden Hawk kit. I think it was their second kit for Stude's. The earlier version mounts beside the engine.
              I actually saw one of these later kits on EBay a couple of years ago. It may be practical to make some of the pieces. The special water pump housing looks like a standard manifold with the top cut off. The water outlets, on the heads look like flat head Ford parts.
              The picture at Bob's site is the best I've seen. It's from a copy of the 1956 McCulloch catalog, and just not very clear to begin with.
              Mike M.

Comment

Yes, that is exactely the stuff I am looking for/ would like to learn more about.
                And those sites are like treasure chambers!!!
                I am AMAZED by all the info/ material Bob Johnstone has gathered in one place. That guy deserves a medal!
                I will use a lot of time reading that material - probably twice..!

Thank you again, very much, for that tip, Mike.

Comment

Working...
                X