PDA

View Full Version : hawk suspension 2

bill j
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
G'day all

Posted a few weeks back regarding the front suspension problems I am having.Have tried a few things but to no avail.
At present I have removed all the upper and lower inside A arm bolts and loosened the outer cap nuts.When I lift the bottom A arm near the kingpin,the top A arm only moves 11/2" before the weight of the car is off the stand.This movement is accompanied by a lot of groaning and it's not just me.Could the spring have got stronger by not having any weight on it in 30 years? It seems to be the original spring with part number and the notch in the bottom coil.I am just running out of ideas:(

bill j

sbca96
11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Springs dont get stronger, thats for sure! Its possible that the
outer bushings (upper & lower) have seized from sitting. Loosening
the caps wont get you anything (if anything it could cause some MORE
problems). Do the bushings "take" grease?

What prompted the issue? Car sitting to high in the front? Is the
front end complete, IE engine is there? The groaning could come from
the inner bushings being worn out, cracked, or off "center".

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

DEEPNHOCK
11-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Shocks rusted/frozen?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

kmul221
11-10-2006, 02:08 PM
If the upper & lower "A" arm bolts to frame have been removed,the tie rod & brake line disconnected,the spring must be compressed & held by a proper tool.The unit should lift out as a complete section,spindle,upper & lower "A" arms.Thats how I did the upper & lower bushings,without moving the outer excentrics

kmul221
11-10-2006, 07:03 PM
OOP's ! I forgot about the front sway bar disconnect,needing to be included

unclemiltie
11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I just replaced the bushings and springs on a 64 convertible, I took the shock out and put a 5/8 inch threaded steel rod down the center to compress the spring, i had the car on jack stands, i attached the top a-arm first letting all bolts etc loose, i then used a floor jack to help pursuade the lower a-arm to go into place so I could get the bottom four bolts in. I did not tighten any bolts tight till everything was in place. you have to have the car with engine sitting on the ground before you tighten the bushing bolts. good luck, was not as easy as when i was younger

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
1961 Hawk
1964 Convertable
1967 Avanti

bill j
11-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks All

I have borrowed a couple of LARGE lads to sit on the front bumper
after I loosened all bolts.The car has now lowered to an acceptable level,so all bolts have been tightened and grease as required.
IT seems to be holding,just have to replace the stabiliser bar.

Thanks

bill j