Convert top operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert top operation

Just wondering what type of hydraulic fluid I should use for the cylinders. The manual says to use "heavy duty brake fluid" and the unit itself is marked "use type A fluid". I don't remember ever hearing of type A. Was this an early version of ATF. thanks

Don

The pump may have been replaced. The newer pumps use ATF. Refill it with whatever is in it now.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree, Don. Check the color of your previous fluid. I used a plastic tip from an empty gear oil bottle screwed onto a brake fluid bottle to easily get it in that small hole without spilling it in the trunk. It takes awhile to bleed out the air from those cylinders, so be patient. What year convert do you have? The later cylinders were a different length than the 1960 versions.

Comment

The problem was that there was no fluid, just discolored muck. It is a 62. I have had the pump, lines and cylinders out of the car and am now replacing everything so refilling should not be a real problem since I can stand it on end. Thanks for the advice.

Don

Comment

I personally would NOT use any kind of brake fluid. Everybody knows how it draws moisture and corrodes and gums up brake cylinders. Why do that to a convertible hydraulic system?

Comment

Working...
          X