Avanti wiring diagram "Neutral start switch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti wiring diagram "Neutral start switch"

I'm having trouble finding the Stude Avanti wiring diagram on Bob Johnstone's web site. I'm pretty sure I've seen it there.

I know there's one on Chuck Collins' site.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...vanti-wire.jpg .
      Mike M.

Comment

Thanks. I thought there was a resisitor bypass connection on the Avanti? but I don't see one on the diagram.

Comment

There is a bypass from the starter solenoid switch. It's a separate single wire in the loom and runs from there to the resistor.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

The earliest models did not have that wire. I don't know exactly when it was added. I'd guess very late in 1962. The factory offered a ready-made wire, part #1560412, for earlier cars that took 'excessive cranking time' to start.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I just noticed that a few minutes after I wrote the note. My Avanti shop manual must be early as it doesn't show a wire. Also there is no color ID for the wire on the late one.

Comment

The resistor bypass wire is green with a black tracer. It goes from the ignition terminal on the starter solenoid to the (+) side of the coil.It provides full battery voltage to the coil when starting. There is a service letter dated January 7,1963 covering this.

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

The drawing at the url above shows the resistor bypass wire, with a note that it's not used on early cars. The drawing in the Avanti shop manual doesn't show it at all.
                  Even late cars have the wire added to the taped-up main harness at the factory; as opposed to being incorporated inside the harness. My Oct. '63 has it on top of a complete layer of tape, with another layer over both. I guess that's what John meant by "separate single wire".
                  Mike M.

Comment

Here is the service letter.

Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Another question. My car is a four speed. The wiring diagram shows a nuetral start switch circuit which I would think would be automatic only. Is the connector for the nuetral switch in the tunnel not used or is it supposed to have some sort of a by pass plugged into it??

Comment

The neutral safety switch can cause trouble on 4 speed cars; even though it isn't there! Studebaker used the same wiring harness with both types of transmission.
                        On both types, the control lead for the starter solenoid goes to the ignition switch by way of the area around the shifter, under the floor. On cars with the 4 speed, the socket for the safety switch is "looped back" with a simple plug. Heat and oil make this a bad neighborhood for wiring.
                        My '64 had problems before I bought it that resulted in replacement of the ignition switch. A new wire was run directly to the solenoid; and the original, (16#, white with red tracer), was cut at both ends. I found the reason while I was repairing the back up light switch.
                        It looks like the insulation on the wire of the looping plug failed first. It's in much worse shape than the wires to the switch and solenoid. It may have been pinched. There was probably an intermittent problem operating the starter, at first, with the control lead sometimes weakly shorting to ground. When it shorted solidly to ground, insulation on the wire to the switch melted, under the tape of the harness.
                        It's easy to get to these wires, from inside the car, by removing a few trim pieces on the console. It's a good idea to check them out. On 4 speed cars, I suggest looping the control lead before it goes through the floor.
                        I posted a picture of the plug and socket at the Yahoo "Avanti" site, in "Files": http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AJm0SEP...iring/ek_1.jpg . You may have to join that group to view it.
                        Mike M.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I figured there had to be a bypass. I checked the voltage at the plug in the tunnel with the ign on start and I had it there so I put a jumper across it and the started kicked over. Maybe the bypass plug is up in the tunnel fastened to something and it came unplugged when I pulled the trans?? I guess I'll check that tomorrow.
                          My next problem is I have no high voltage during start at the ign by pass post on the starter relay. I guess I need to assume that is the relay itself.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X