Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone wanting 1 of Bobs cars hauled East??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone wanting 1 of Bobs cars hauled East??

How much interest is there on getting one of those Studebakers from Bob Petersons to some point East? Would PEG Trucking offer a group discount if 3 or 4 individuals all wanted a car or body hauled East? I would love one of the Larks,and Bob said A LOT of people wanted one but did not want to pay shipping.I am just taking a SWAG that maybe a group discount could be offered if 1 truck went and picked up 4 or 5 cars and ran a route East dropping them off.
    Who is wanting one???? Blame BAMS for this train of thought!!

I'd think about one if a really good package deal on shipping came along...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Last winter I was able to get a cheap deal on shipping cars from the west coast to large cities in the midwest/east for around $500. Downside was they had to start with a key and drive on the car hauler and stop. Deals are available, but usually only for cars they are easy to load when the big car haulers run empty once in awhile. From my experience, its cost prohibitive to buy a non-driver car and get it shipped due to the cost difference of shipping. For example: non running junk lark costs $500 in California. Shipping for a non runner is around $1500 UP. Shipping for a runner at the right time is $700 or under. Might at well apply the extra money and get a better car shipped as you'll pay the same anyways.

Comment

That's always been my experience too, Kent. But there is a little added incentive this time- these cars DO have to go, as they have no place to go. In this case, it's not a sales pitch.

It's a tightrope, for sure- balancing love of the cars with common-sense reality. What you say about runners being cheaper to ship is correct; so is your point about buying a runner instead. Still, we're trying to find homes for these cars if possible.

Maybe something can be done, maybe not.

Champ- I'm dealing on another car in CA (not at Peterson's) that I'd rather have. If we can make a deal, it still might work out to put that into a shipping package deal. I used to buy cars from FL and ship to NY on a 7-car hauler. They would sell me the trip for one price, whether it was one or seven units; so we made sure to buy seven, in order to lower the per-unit shipping cost. I wonder if a similar deal could be done in this instance, but with non-runners?

When my Lark wagon got here from WA it was on with 2 running and 2 non-running cars. Don't remember the specific trucker, but it was through Peg trucking. It was Jan. 06, and cost $1250 (running car). Wonder what it would be now...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Guess not,eh??

Comment

It's just human nature. Most of the people who call out that someone "must save" this car or that mean "welll.. someone other than me..." I don't let that bother me- that's just how it is. I'm with the must-savers, I'm just a different type who takes action to do so. I realize I'm in the minority- heck, I've been made fun of for doing so[)] That's alright by me- they can talk and not do; I'm doing whatever I can. I also accept that I can only do what I can. Sometimes folks can't do anything, for various reasons- but some can, and don't bother to make an effort. Some of it's interest level- for instance, I feel zero motivation to save old Toyotas; but that's just me.

I've had a couple long chats on the phone with Bob the last couple nights about this. He has had more calls from the folks on this forum in the last week than from the last few months of advertising; a credit to the power of this medium! But some of the cars he's got will need to go to the crusher, starting right after he gets home from Lancaster. Some of the stuff he described to me break my heart! How about a 64 4dr. factory 289 Poweshift car, solid, no engine/trans., that will be stuffed full of scrap and hauled to the crusher[B)] Just one example! Breaks his heart too, but as said above, only so much somebody can do

Thus far, my offer of free pick-up and storage of parts from Bob's place delivered to Lancaster has not generated ONE taker. I'd like to think that means everybody's coming to Lancaster and will bring home their own stuff, but I'm not so sure. Then why?? Some don't currently have the money, but what about the rest?? Railbird mentality, I guess.

In the end, some of Bob's stuff will be saved; much will be lost forever. I know I will have done all I could. Some will know... otherwise. Life will go on![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Peg could move 6 runners point to point east to west for about $1000 each maybe a bit less.Add maybe $1000 total for six non-runners.

JDP/Maryland
              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a request into PEG for a delivery quote.If I can swing the cash,I want a 2 door Lark. Bob is pulling off some stuff for me,but I believe if he is going to run I-80 from Chi town to OHIO,he will in fact be on the 80/90 Indiana Toll Road,in which he will pass North of South Bend,and I can meet him on the toll road to grab my stuff.If I am mistaken,I will take you up on your offer BAMS.

Comment

As I recall, Bob will plan his route to drop parts on the way when at all possible; let him know, and it can probably be worked out. If not, no problem with me.

The car I was shooting for in CA didn't happen, so I might be in on getting one of Bob's.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Is there a list or a website to see whats available?

Comment

Boothguy, here's some pictures taken this week:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

He's got more that aren't pictured; best to contact him. He's a really good guy! Check out this thread for more info:

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Peg could move 6 runners point to point east to west for about $1000 each maybe a bit less.Add maybe $1000 total for six non-runners.

JDP/Maryland
                        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                        Thomas Jefferson
                        That sounds good, but how about west to east as applies to this thread? It is usually a little more expensive going west to east because there is more demand for that direction, especially for collector vehicles.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X