dual points help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual points help please

When I bought my '60 Hawk, it had dual points. I later converted to a Pertronix kit #1183 with their 1.5 ohm coil which is giving me a lot of grief and I want to go back to a points setup. Would the dual points have been stock? If not, would the mounting plate inside the distributor have to have been changed or altered to accept the dual setup?
    Thanks in advance
    Mr Mike

The dual-points are NOT stock.
    Your car was originally equipped with a Delco 1110864 non-window distributor (V8 of course)
    Someone may have swapped in a Prestolite Dual-Point from a '63/'64 R-Engine.
    Personally, I'd go back to the 1110864 with the Pertronix unit... as I have installed and run several of them for years with no problems at all.
    IF your car has a factory Tachometer- it's easiest to just use the regular points instead... The Pertronix has clearance issues with the tach-sender

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

The dual-points are NOT stock.
      Your car was originally equipped with a Delco 1110864 non-window distributor (V8 of course)
      Someone may have swapped in a Prestolite Dual-Point from a '63/'64 R-Engine.
      Personally, I'd go back to the 1110864 with the Pertronix unit... as I have installed and run several of them for years with no problems at all.
      IF your car has a factory Tachometer- it's easiest to just use the regular points instead... The Pertronix has clearance issues with the tach-sender

Ray

What Ray said. But I do want to offer one more possibility.....you might have had an aftermarket 'dual point' conversion plate for the early Delco V8 distributor. These are seen regularly on eBay, and IIRC, JDP sold them for a while too.

Was the distributor that had the dual points a Delco or a Prestolite?

Paul
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It is a Delco but the band with the Delco # is missing.
        Mr Mike

Comment

Working...
        X