Annual Orphan Auto Picnic, oh boy pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Orphan Auto Picnic, oh boy pictures

Sunday I attended our annual orphan auto picnic. For those longing for a place to belong, this was next to paradise. Raffle tickets, no judging, no trophies, just a day to sit in a lawnchair. Bring some hotdogs for the grilles and enjoy the free brew, or soda. Anyway here's some pictures from the show. Each make had a specific section to go to, of course we were in the Studebaker section.

Our motley group of Studes

The show is/was put on by the local Corvair club. Great group of people to sponsor the show. For anyone keeping score, I'll just say technological abandonment, lol....

We had a reasonable size of the British make. Guess where the location of all the British cars are in the photo?? [)] [)]

We had a few that most here might recognize, some that all would recognize, and then some that just peg the weird scale(all in good fun though)

This one is one that I have an unhealthy obsession for. I think its due to the rust issues are all but minimal on the make.

This is another one I thought was killer. This is a Delorean EV. According to the owner it clocked 143 mph at the National Speedway(a record for all Deloreans) with the electric critter in it. It's also whisper quiet. The comment I made to the owner was something to the effect of, it needs the bumper sticker saying "I ditched the flux capacitor" [:I]

A good day to park the Stude and put the feet up, lol. [8D]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Nice pictures, but where's your car?? We never see it save for that tiny sig. picture[)]

I couldn't read the nameplate on that pushmepullyou car (yellow and white)- is that a Goggomobil?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Nice pictures, but where's your car?? We never see it save for that tiny sig. picture[)]

I couldn't read the nameplate on that pushmepullyou car (yellow and white)- is that a Goggomobil?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
        Looks like a Zundapp Janus to me...

Craig

Comment

Unnnfortunately, the car is still sidelined in the driveway with a cracked flexplate. It's been in that state since December. This is one of those procedures that makes my blood run cold as that is a couple hundred pounds of pig iron(Powershift) that has to be removed, pulled back, and then dialed back into place. I rode with my dad's 63 Avanti(R2 4 speed) the past couple of shows. Sadly that is or was my daily transportation. What I have been using since then is our 95 Crown Vic. Its been a basic necessity particularly this spring when I had to go student teaching. I probably should put some what they've been up to lately pictures with the vehicles. Hmmm, wonder if the next weed pull I should run out there with the camera in tow as the pickup is used to drag that brush the pit...

You're right on the money Craig. That oddball with the fridge doors is a Zundapp Janus. The interesting part is one enters through either the back or the front, and the seats are arranged back to back in a jumpseat fashion, so the passengers are watching what they passed as they go by(or as Seinfeld put it, like travelling back through time, lol).

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I should also mention the driveway to this joint. The driveway is a steep incline to a busy state highway. Vehicles cannot line themselves behind each for obvious reasons, so it's one at a time up the hill. Entering is relatively easy, barring you don't pass it. Exiting, especially for long wheelbase vehicles making a left, not so much. We had a situation exiting where the Avanti, once getting to the street wanted to sputter and die(6 month old gas, go figure). Well after rolling a little back down the driveway, on the third or fourth try we cut loose to get it onto the street. This car had no factory Hill Holder, just a couple of experienced drivers. To say one cannot get sideways in this vehicle, well they's be lyin' [)]. It was also coupled with a little whiff of asbestos with a slight tinge of tire smoke, and I presume two tire marks out on the street [)]

Comment

Looks like you all had a great time! I learn more at one orphan show than a whole summer of Goodguys meets. I'm drooling over that Fiat Abarth coupe.[]

The Zundapp is THE definitive "which way is it going" car!

Andy
              62 GT
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Thanks guys, the Corvair club has been doing this show for about 15 years. I have photos of this show going back to 2000, with a more than a few with my own car in them. This is one of a few that the Stude guys here look forward to each year. The bad news is the host doesn't want to do it at this location no more, so they made this show the last one at this location . So the search is on for another spot to do the show as the drivers hate to see a very nice show just disappear. Yeah, I too have picked up a few more names not known by going to this show. As they say "Variety is the spice of life"....

Comment

I see a lot of nice Metropolitans on the field. Wish I still had mine,very frugal on fuel.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

A couple more shots of the field. Yeah we had a few Metropolitans out there

Here's the size of the show field. As you can see it was not small for an orphan population. The hill was not small either. If you got a favorite orphan(Ok Studebaker, in back by the river by the Corvairs), it's probably in the photo somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X