PDA

View Full Version : Whooshing sound from torque converter

StudeMann
08-17-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a 51 Land Cruiser with a 232 V8 & DG200 transmission. I hear a whoosing, hydraulic sound when I take off from a start. Is this whooshing sound normal for these transmissions? If not, what might be the reason for it. I assume it is the torque converter but I don't know if it indicates a problem or not. I checked the fluid level today with the car level, engine hot, transmission in L and it indicated the fluid level was fine.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

studegary
08-17-2008, 09:32 PM
What type of fluid are you using? When was the last that it received a complete change (within the last year, I hope). Your fluid could be aerated or have lost its viscosity and still measure to the correct level.

Of course it is hard to know exactly what you mean by a "whooshing sound", like how loud the sound is.

If it hasn't had all new Dexron within the past year, I would start by changing the fluid (transmission and convertor drain separately).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

StudeMann
08-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi Gary,

When the car was shipped to me it arrived with the trans fluid level quite low because the transmission seals leaked during transport. I topped it up with Dexron fluid. I have only used 2 tanks of gas since I got the car last fall so I haven't completely changed the trans fluid although I added about 4 quarts to bring it up to level. The fluid on the dipstick doesn't look aerated.

The sound reminds me a little of the hydraulic equipment on my father's backhoes. The volume depends on the load applied to the transmission. If I accelerate quickly or if I am starting on an uphill slope it is louder. Tonight I was backing up over a 6" curb and that produced a similar sound. It isn't extremely loud but it is quite noticeable.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

studegary
08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
It may be that you are just hearing the normal sounds of a transmission from 57 years ago. I would still recommend completely changing the fluid (transmission and converter) once you start to use the car. Fluid is a lot cheaper and more available than those DG transmissions.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

StudeMann
08-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Gary,

In the last 6 months I've changed the water pump, hoses, thermostat, rebuilt both the carb & fuel pump, installed new points, plugs, condensor and cap, done the entire brake system and exhaust, and adjusted the valves. I keep hoping that soon I will have run through all the things that need to be swapped out or changed before I can start to drive her in earnest.

The PO had the torque converter and pump rebuilt about 2 years ago and had driven the car very little so I didn't think I needed to change the trans fluid. However, I should probably do it as a precaution. I don't have a repair manual for the transmission. Do you know how I would refill the torque converter? I assume there is a drain plug on the torque converter but how does it get filled - from the pump in the trans?

Thanks,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

studegary
08-19-2008, 08:06 PM
If you do a "search" you will find my complete instructions in another thread (I am not a typist.).
Studebaker recommended changing the fluid every year and I do.
Yes, there is a drain plug in the converter. When you are ready to refill, put five quarts in through where you check the transmission, then start the car. This will fill the converter.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

StudeMann
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I searched and found your filling instructions in a thread regarding another 51 DG200 transmission. I will change the fluid this weekend.

Thanks again, Gary.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

Dwain G.
08-20-2008, 12:00 AM
The transmission could be a little low on fluid. It isn't a 'gurgling' noise coming from the heater/defroster is it?
It could be a normal sound too. From the manual....the rushing or swishing sound from the torque converter when accelerating rapidly in drive intermediate which is a normal noise due to the vortex flow in the converter under heavy load.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

StudeMann
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Dwain,

When I checked the fluid on Sunday it was just slightly above the full mark on the dipstick. The sound is not a gurgling noise and it is not coming from the heater or defroster. It is a 'rushing or swishing sound' and appears to come from the torque converter and not the transmission. Your quote from the manual describes exactly the nature and conditions under which I hear the sound. From what the manual says it would seem what I'm hearing is normal. That's a relief!

Thanks.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

StudeMann
09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
An update on my DG200 transmission:

The torque converter seems to be getting quieter the more I drive it. Also, several times (10 or so) I have started out in L (1st gear), which reduces the sound considerably and now it seems to be quieter even starting in D (second gear).

The car had sat in storage for many years so perhaps everything is getting 'flushed out' the more it is driven. Does that make sense?

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

bondobilly
09-02-2008, 11:23 PM
If strange noises go away the mor you drive the car your in good shape. If they get louder, the you have to worry and turn up the radio.

Also remember your driving a car that is over 50 years old, noises we were used to back then. Same as smells. Our new cars have spoiled it for us.

StudeMann
09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
So true! I tell everyone that driving my Land cruiser is a real 'hands-on' experience because it's all manual brakes & steering, bias-ply tires and tired shock absorbers. However, the automatic trans feels like pure decadence compared to my old 51 Champion with 3 speed & OD.

Just today, as I drove my kids to school and practically knocked my son's backpackpack off the front seat as I cranked the wheel out as I turned out of our driveway, my son remarked ,"Oh, yeah, I forgot how big the steering wheel is on this car!"

The smells...well, one day after I parked it along a downtown street a fellow walked by, took a deep breath and said, "Ahh, that smell reminds me of my old Barracuda!"

Yes, the old cars are more like living things with all their own sounds and scents. I love it!

Cheers,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada