Wire Wheel Cover ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wheel Cover ID

Howdy All! With all the discussion of hub caps and wheel covers as of late, I thought I would get an experts opinion on a set of three wire covers that I have in my parts collection. I assumed that these are the wire covers that Studebaker offered... but you know how that works! There were no buckets or caps with these, just the wire covers. Is there a way to confirm the Studebaker covers? Were there numbers, or a makers mark stamped on them? These are stainless steel, but have no cracking which I understand was common on them. These have probably been in storage since the sixties though. Heres a pic. Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated!

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

These do not appear to be 1953-1955 Studebaker wheelcovers to me.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They look a lot like the rare '64 wire wheel covers, either with centers cut out, removed or something!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nash/Hudson had a similar cover w/the center containing their respective crest. Will check w/local NASH NOS parts dealer and if in stock will photograph same.

Comment

Nash/Hudson had a similar cover w/the center containing their respective crest. Will check w/local NASH NOS parts dealer and if in stock will photograph same.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. These were in with Ed Maycox's 50 year Studebaker parts collection. He didn't seem to save anything unless it was Studebaker, came off a Studebaker, or Studebaker/Packard related, hence the assumption. Having never seen a car with the Stude wire covers in person, I didn't know what they should look like. But comparing them to photos I have seen of them, they look alot alike. What makes these different to the Stude wire covers? Thanks again, Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
            I own time machines.....

Comment

These don't have as many spokes as the 53-55 Studebaker wires. That's just for starters.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Bob! I do appreciate that information, as I am always interested in learning something new. Thanks again, Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

They look a lot like the rare '64 wire wheel covers, either with centers cut out, removed or something!
                  You may be right, but how did the centers get taken out so cleanly? Here is a set I had on my '64 Avanti (unfortunately sold with the car).
                  Notice neither the original post or my picture show a hole for the valve stem. I sold the first set I had (NOS) to JDP because I couldn't figure out how they mounted[:I] (but he knew).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What you have goes on a mid-50s T-Bird. It goes on over the hubcap.

Mark Anderson
                    Member SDC and FMCA
                    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Thanks again all! Great pictures of that '64 cover, and the T-Bird covers. The T-Bird covers look to be right with the exception of having valve stem openings in them. The spoke count and the missing valve stem opening is the same as the '64's, but no centers. How did the '64 wire covers mount Paul? Thanks again for the help. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studemaker

Thanks again all! Great pictures of that '64 cover, and the T-Bird covers. The T-Bird covers look to be right with the exception of having valve stem openings in them. The spoke count and the missing valve stem opening is the same as the '64's, but no centers. How did the '64 wire covers mount Paul? Thanks again for the help.
                        It may be that the reproduction Ford covers had the valve stem hole punched out because it is such a PITA to check your tire pressure with them on.
                        The following pix show how they mount:
                        The clips- the Stude clips are heavier and stiffer than the Fords. The rubber pads keep the cover tight to keep it from rattling:

The clips are tapped in between the tire bead and the rim as shown here. Ford used six where Stude only used four so I compromised and used five.

Once all the clips are attached to the rim, you pull out on the opposite end of each clip and hook the tip of the clip under a flange on the wheel cover. The result is a cover that you have to pull out to check your tire pressure (very short valve stem). As you push the cover back toward the rim, it sort of snaps in to place.

Personally, I like the looks- they cover the entire rim. They looks better with a black wheel though.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks Paul, thats great information, Im sure I am not the only Stude fan out here that was wondering how they were attached. I have a friend here in Montana that has two mid 50's T-Birds. I am going to attend a show tommorrow that he will also be at, and will try to confirm the identity of my covers with him also. Thanks again for posting that information, and for all the replies from everyone, they were much appreciated. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Working...
                          X