wire wheel covers for 53 Starline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire wheel covers for 53 Starline

Hello...I have a 53 Starliner and I cannot keep the original style wheel covers from flying off. I've tried a number of tricks--all to no avail. I put new Coker raidals on and that's when the problem began. I am now going back to new Coker bias which may make the situation a lot better. However, I am considering switching to wire wheel covers. I have one wire wheel cover I purchased to hang on the garage wall. I'm wondering if anyone out there has others that are for sale, or who can point me in the right direction? Dick Fitch in Kerrville, TX fitch1@ktc.com/830-370-3776. Thanks!

Dick Fitch

Dick,

The one you already have - does it have the bucket that attaches with the lug nuts? Given that they're held on like that, they're certainly less likely to part company, but while they're certainly pretty (some would argue to the opposite), they do have quirks of their own.
    The center caps have been remade and so they're as easy as calling a vendor. It's the wire portion that's tough to find and unlikely to be for sale if you DO locate some. ebay's probably your best bet UNLESS you could get to the International meet in Lancaster PA next month. I'll guarantee there'll be some for sale there. Just bring pleny of moola.
    BTW, MANY other car makers used the SAME wire section that Stude did - even some aftermarket offerings were the same. The TRICK is that different applications warranted different "buckets" (the part that attaches with the lug nuts). You have to be careful to get the right buckets to fit the Stude wheels.
    All this said, your problem with the standard full covers may disappear with the bias ply tires. You're far from the first to have problems when switching to radials with the stock Stude wheels.[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll have four used but presentable ones for sale at Lancaster,some have usable caps some don't and need to be replaced. We vend under the name "Howards Parts" Don't really care to ship them.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I would recommend that you change your wheels to something new or at least originally designed for radial tires. I believe that you are now throwing your wheelcovers due to wheel flex. Those wheelcovers are light weight and normally do not leave the car easily. With better and safer wheels, you can keep the radial tires that you already have and your current wheelcovers. This solution will be safer and also less expensive.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X