Nate's Saginaw Steering Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate's Saginaw Steering Box

I was at Bob Peterson's yesterday. Nate's check for the Saginaw box he ordered from Bob arrived while I was there...so your box should be on the way, Nate.

Here's the '53 Champion Starliner the box is out of...

When I was down there a month or so ago, this was a complete (but not running) Starliner. Nobody wanted this thing for a give away price, and it had a little rust in the floor, so Bob decided to part it out. This shell will be crushed soon.

The Lark in the background is a RUST FREE factory 4 speed, bucket seat car (only missing the engine and trans). Bob couldn't get $600 for it on eBay. It will be parted out.

I does bother me to hear folks begging others to save a rare Studebaker, but when push comes to shove, no one steps up to the plate...they just keep complaining and whining that SOMEBODY should have saved it, or the owner should be shot for parting that one out.

Bob has no choice. He's loosing his storage area and EVERYTHING there will go...one way or another. He is hauling PRESOLD frames and rust free sheetmetal to Lancaster. If you need anything, contact Bob at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net Free freight of rust free west coast stuff to Lancaster. A tough deal to beat.

Here's another shot of the Starliner...

That's the frame out of this car in front.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick, why pay a $1000 or more to ship a rust free car when you can spend 3 times that welding in new metal and replacing sheet metal on a local rust bucket ?

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Dick, why pay a $1000 or more to ship a rust free car when you can spend 3 times that welding in new metal and replacing sheet metal on a local rust bucket ?

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Dick, did Bob have any C-Cab stuff?

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Plenty...including rust free cabs.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Plenty...including rust free cabs.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Just sent an e-mail to Bob. It's one of the frustrations of life- plenty of good stuff in CA, plenty of room for storage in NY[V]

I agree about railbirds not stepping up. But in fairness, sometimes one is just aching to see a car saved, but just plain doesn't have the means or room to do it themselves. But to gripe and complain because "somebody" isn't doing so is tiresome[xx(]

Another frequently overlooked point regarding shipping: Occasionally someone will voice criticism for somebody in the form of "Well if you want one you should just pony up the shipping for a Western car, you'll save in the long run from lack of rust repair"... true enough, but that doesn't take into account the casual hobbyist on a tight budget. For some it's more doable to get a $500 car that has a little rust but can be driven after for a couple hundred in gas, as opposed to one that's a little cleaner for $500 but is $1500 in shipping away.

Three examples:

*Your 59 Lark 2dr. wagon. I was frustrated to see it go for less than a grand[V] I'd have paid at least that, but it would more than double the price to get it 3000 miles here.

*Biggs' 4-spd. Daytona wagon. He offered it here for a grand. Are you kidding me?? You can't imagine how badly I'd like to have that- you cannot argue the price! But in my yard that grand becomes $2500... just can't make that work[V]

*The Daytona you referenced at Bob's. I watched that on eBay, and was again frustrated. I don't care if it is incomplete- GREAT base for a custom, resto, Chevy power, whatever! Same shipping bugaboo[}]

People who buy higher-end cars don't have this issue. If you're spendin 10-20 large for a collector car, another thou or two isn't an issue- which opens up the world to you. But if you want a base for a low-buck fixer-upper to do over several years, it doesn't compute.

I wanted to build a Daytona for myself; specifically a 62 2dr. HT with a 4-speed... just like what Bob has. But I have to use logic, so I kept my eye open. Kent turned me onto a CO body, solid and straight, for $500. It was in MI, about a 6 1/2 hour drive away. I made the deal, and when we went to Niagara Falls for a planned weekend we took the dolly and went the extra 3 hours away to pick up the car; cut the trans. cost pretty low. That worked for me.

I have long tried to think of a logical way to put together a big shipment of Western stuff to the East Coast; haven't figured it out. I even thought of train transport, along the lines of what Ian does to get stuff to Australia: Rent a car, fill it with stuff, send the car, and unload it here. Haven't figured that one out yet either. I have the will- and desire- to save cars, and step up frequently. But there's only so much I can do.

I'd love to just take everything Bob has to get rid of- those big stacks of frames, solid bodies, mountains of hard parts- in one lot and ship it here. Just haven't figured out a realistic way to do it.

Any ideas?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Just sent an e-mail to Bob. It's one of the frustrations of life- plenty of good stuff in CA, plenty of room for storage in NY[V]

I agree about railbirds not stepping up. But in fairness, sometimes one is just aching to see a car saved, but just plain doesn't have the means or room to do it themselves. But to gripe and complain because "somebody" isn't doing so is tiresome[xx(]

Another frequently overlooked point regarding shipping: Occasionally someone will voice criticism for somebody in the form of "Well if you want one you should just pony up the shipping for a Western car, you'll save in the long run from lack of rust repair"... true enough, but that doesn't take into account the casual hobbyist on a tight budget. For some it's more doable to get a $500 car that has a little rust but can be driven after for a couple hundred in gas, as opposed to one that's a little cleaner for $500 but is $1500 in shipping away.

Three examples:

*Your 59 Lark 2dr. wagon. I was frustrated to see it go for less than a grand[V] I'd have paid at least that, but it would more than double the price to get it 3000 miles here.

*Biggs' 4-spd. Daytona wagon. He offered it here for a grand. Are you kidding me?? You can't imagine how badly I'd like to have that- you cannot argue the price! But in my yard that grand becomes $2500... just can't make that work[V]

*The Daytona you referenced at Bob's. I watched that on eBay, and was again frustrated. I don't care if it is incomplete- GREAT base for a custom, resto, Chevy power, whatever! Same shipping bugaboo[}]

People who buy higher-end cars don't have this issue. If you're spendin 10-20 large for a collector car, another thou or two isn't an issue- which opens up the world to you. But if you want a base for a low-buck fixer-upper to do over several years, it doesn't compute.

I wanted to build a Daytona for myself; specifically a 62 2dr. HT with a 4-speed... just like what Bob has. But I have to use logic, so I kept my eye open. Kent turned me onto a CO body, solid and straight, for $500. It was in MI, about a 6 1/2 hour drive away. I made the deal, and when we went to Niagara Falls for a planned weekend we took the dolly and went the extra 3 hours away to pick up the car; cut the trans. cost pretty low. That worked for me.

I have long tried to think of a logical way to put together a big shipment of Western stuff to the East Coast; haven't figured it out. I even thought of train transport, along the lines of what Ian does to get stuff to Australia: Rent a car, fill it with stuff, send the car, and unload it here. Haven't figured that one out yet either. I have the will- and desire- to save cars, and step up frequently. But there's only so much I can do.

I'd love to just take everything Bob has to get rid of- those big stacks of frames, solid bodies, mountains of hard parts- in one lot and ship it here. Just haven't figured out a realistic way to do it.

Any ideas?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I agree, Bob, that it makes far more sense to amortize the shipping on a (relatively) expensive car, than a cheap one. However...

Take Biggs' wagon for instance. Where else are you going to find a rust free factory 4 speed wagon? $1000 purchase plus $1500 shipping is not outrageous. It's more up front than paying $1000 for a local rust bucket, but when the project is done, Biggs' wagon will have far less total money and work into it.

Same with that $600 4 speed Lark. $2100 total to the east AND not having to do rust repair AND starting out with a factory 4 speed car. It is still far cheaper and less work than starting with a local rust bucket for the same money but not having to pay shipping.

I think psychologically most folks have trouble with ponying up the shipping cost on a project car, but when all is said and done, it is the cheapest way out AND results in a much better finished product.

Serious buyers should put a pencil to the whole project (time and money) before dragging the rust bucket home. I think they would have a different view of the shipping cost after doing that.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree, Bob, that it makes far more sense to amortize the shipping on a (relatively) expensive car, than a cheap one. However...

Take Biggs' wagon for instance. Where else are you going to find a rust free factory 4 speed wagon? $1000 purchase plus $1500 shipping is not outrageous. It's more up front than paying $1000 for a local rust bucket, but when the project is done, Biggs' wagon will have far less total money and work into it.

Same with that $600 4 speed Lark. $2100 total to the east AND not having to do rust repair AND starting out with a factory 4 speed car. It is still far cheaper and less work than starting with a local rust bucket for the same money but not having to pay shipping.

I think psychologically most folks have trouble with ponying up the shipping cost on a project car, but when all is said and done, it is the cheapest way out AND results in a much better finished product.

Serious buyers should put a pencil to the whole project (time and money) before dragging the rust bucket home. I think they would have a different view of the shipping cost after doing that.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I was already writing the answer to this while you were posting

I'll add to what I said- You're used to being in the hobby and having several thousand dollars to spend to summon your next subject into your hands... but what about those who can't- or won't- shell out that much for a hobby in which they only have somewhat of an interest?

Plenty of people want an old car just for something to putter with; many are working to pay for an ego house, and payments on a couple overpriced modern daily drivers, or boats, etc. In addition, they have kids that need sports gear and transportation along with their living expenses, family vacations, other hobbies and interests, college, and on and on. It's OK to spend 2 grand with shipping on a car you're really into, but if that's the entry price, many will just pass. But if they find a runner for a few hundred across town, they might grab that and try to patch it up.

Naturally, your approach is better. And a lot of us here are more involved in the hobby, so you make sense to us. But a large number of folks are not

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I was already writing the answer to this while you were posting

I'll add to what I said- You're used to being in the hobby and having several thousand dollars to spend to summon your next subject into your hands... but what about those who can't- or won't- shell out that much for a hobby in which they only have somewhat of an interest?

Plenty of people want an old car just for something to putter with; many are working to pay for an ego house, and payments on a couple overpriced modern daily drivers, or boats, etc. In addition, they have kids that need sports gear and transportation along with their living expenses, family vacations, other hobbies and interests, college, and on and on. It's OK to spend 2 grand with shipping on a car you're really into, but if that's the entry price, many will just pass. But if they find a runner for a few hundred across town, they might grab that and try to patch it up.

Naturally, your approach is better. And a lot of us here are more involved in the hobby, so you make sense to us. But a large number of folks are not

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Dick, I think it has to do with the degree one is interested in a given car (see above post).

Another point is the myth that West Coast cars always mean rust-free. To us Northeasters, we think of rust-free as solid floors, frame, fenders, etc. and they mostly are. But we don't realize that these cars still rust, but in areas that are sometimes more difficult to fix! Roof edges, upper edges of doors and quarters, etc. If you're buying a WC car that needs complete resto, chances are you'll have some rust anyway! Look at Bob's Daytona- definitely very solid, but it still needs a floor on the driver's side; maybe not to the extent of a native NE car, but a serious repair just the same. My Lark wagon came from Bob's place in CA; but it had rusted floors requiring a piece on each side measuring about 12"x18". Had I bought a WC car for $500 thinking it would be rust-free, and paying all that shipping, that would have been a real bummer...

Another thing I didn't grasp was how completely the interiors are destroyed out there! Frequently I see old cars here with at least serviceable interiors needing floor repair and carpet to make a decent driver; most cars from there have everything completely baked to a crisp. Sometimes it might be worth it to weld floors than have to figure out where to get- and R&R- and pay for- every single part of an interior[xx(]

I'm not arguing or totally disagreeing- just giving another perspective. Great discussion![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Dick, I think it has to do with the degree one is interested in a given car (see above post).

Another point is the myth that West Coast cars always mean rust-free. To us Northeasters, we think of rust-free as solid floors, frame, fenders, etc. and they mostly are. But we don't realize that these cars still rust, but in areas that are sometimes more difficult to fix! Roof edges, upper edges of doors and quarters, etc. If you're buying a WC car that needs complete resto, chances are you'll have some rust anyway! Look at Bob's Daytona- definitely very solid, but it still needs a floor on the driver's side; maybe not to the extent of a native NE car, but a serious repair just the same. My Lark wagon came from Bob's place in CA; but it had rusted floors requiring a piece on each side measuring about 12"x18". Had I bought a WC car for $500 thinking it would be rust-free, and paying all that shipping, that would have been a real bummer...

Another thing I didn't grasp was how completely the interiors are destroyed out there! Frequently I see old cars here with at least serviceable interiors needing floor repair and carpet to make a decent driver; most cars from there have everything completely baked to a crisp. Sometimes it might be worth it to weld floors than have to figure out where to get- and R&R- and pay for- every single part of an interior[xx(]

I'm not arguing or totally disagreeing- just giving another perspective. Great discussion![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X