New member- Interior paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member- Interior paint question

Hello, all. This is my first entry on your informative and entertaining forum, which I've been reading for months. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've got a '59 Regal Wagon (I refer to it as my 1/1 scale assembly kit) which I hope to return to its original glory, with the exception of a few liberties taken (radials, for instance) for driveability and such, but not so much that they would alert any but the most discerning Studephile.
    Here's what I'd like to know: Although the car was a ratty white when I bought it (30 yrs. ago!),all indications are that it was delivered with a Campfire Red exterior, and a red and black interior. However, with age, the interior paint has become about ten different reds. Anyone familiar with the correct color(s) used on a car of this description? Are the wheelhouses supposed to be red or black? Fred Fox's article in TW indicated that a different paint was used on interiors (a wheelhouse enamel IIRC), but I haven't encountered anyone who can fill me in on particulars. For instance, would the interior and exterior colors have the same break lines around the doors and tailgate if they were essentially the same color? Or would it be "correct" to shoot inside and out w/the same coating. Also, was the interior paint a lesser gloss? Kinda trivial and long winded, I know, but it's a solid car and I'd like to treat it right. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. JSC

quote:Originally posted by Play Wagon

Hello, all. This is my first entry on your informative and entertaining forum, which I've been reading for months. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've got a '59 Regal Wagon (I refer to it as my 1/1 scale assembly kit) which I hope to return to its original glory, with the exception of a few liberties taken (radials, for instance) for driveability and such, but not so much that they would alert any but the most discerning Studephile.
    Here's what I'd like to know: Although the car was a ratty white when I bought it (30 yrs. ago!),all indications are that it was delivered with a Campfire Red exterior, and a red and black interior. However, with age, the interior paint has become about ten different reds. Anyone familiar with the correct color(s) used on a car of this description? Are the wheelhouses supposed to be red or black? Fred Fox's article in TW indicated that a different paint was used on interiors (a wheelhouse enamel IIRC), but I haven't encountered anyone who can fill me in on particulars. For instance, would the interior and exterior colors have the same break lines around the doors and tailgate if they were essentially the same color? Or would it be "correct" to shoot inside and out w/the same coating. Also, was the interior paint a lesser gloss? Kinda trivial and long winded, I know, but it's a solid car and I'd like to treat it right. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. JSC
    Here is a list that includes the interior colors for 1959 & 1960. I believe the Campfire Red was the same inside, but the black areas may have been a satin finish according to this list.

Craig

Comment

I learned something new. I had never heard of Campfire red until today. One has to wonder where they came up with some of the names.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hey, Craig, thanks for sharing your info. Yet another interesting resource I hadn't seen. Curious how no red is listed in the interior options- maybe they just did the expedient thing and shot everything w/the same material. I think the black on my wheelwells was done by a PO, but have never seen another red on red car to compare. Also, I've not seen any other color scheme that was the same inside & out. Still a bit of a puzzle, eh?

JSC

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by Play Wagon

Here is a list that includes the interior colors for 1959 & 1960. I believe the Campfire Red was the same inside, but the black areas may have been a satin finish according to this list.

Craig

Comment

Been painting long enough to have formed a theory 'bout that: Take a handful of cash-strapped college students, offer 'em a few $$$ and all the cheap booze they want. Catch is, you don't let 'em out of a locked room until they've named a hundred color chips!

JSC

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

I learned something new. I had never heard of Campfire red until today. One has to wonder where they came up with some of the names.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Comment

I don't have the right reference material to be sure about this, but I think a Campfire Red wagon would likely have had a darker red interior trim paint called Flame Red. It would be a lacquer with very little shine. This would be on the doors and other interior window trim, and the wheel wells, but the painted part of the dash would be a gloss Flame Red enamel.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Looking at the colors listed for '59 & '60, I wonder why there isn't any red. My '59 Lark Regal has a red & black interior and it's original. Just wondering. By the way, the exterior is Tahiti Coral.
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks, folks, for the details. Is the Flame Red something I could find an actual chip for? I was looking @ my parts wagon yesterday (also a '59 Regal, but green on green w/a sloppy aftermarket finish) and it appears the door and upper tailgate accent color was applied after the main color. The lower tailgate has less of the original finish showing, but appears to not have the accent color. Does that sound right? Anyone know of someone w/another red on red '59 Regal wagon w/original finish for reference? Longshot, I know! Thanks, again.
                JSC

Comment

Thanks, folks, for the details. Is the Flame Red something I could find an actual chip for? I was looking @ my parts wagon yesterday (also a '59 Regal, but green on green w/a sloppy aftermarket finish) and it appears the door and upper tailgate accent color was applied after the main color. The lower tailgate has less of the original finish showing, but appears to not have the accent color. Does that sound right? Anyone know of someone w/another red on red '59 Regal wagon w/original finish for reference? Longshot, I know! Thanks, again.
                  JSC

Comment

Working...
                  X