Bud's not gonna make Lancaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud's not gonna make Lancaster?

Well after living the last few weeks in denial, reality set in today. Bud will not be ready for Lancaster [V]. I went to visit his cab today, and it is looking really good. The new floor pans were bonded in (first time I've ever used that method). The cab corners got some new steel, The cab support has new steel, Its been blocked and primed, and will get some new Apache Red treatment next week. It looks really sweet even in primer, I can't wait to see it in shiney red. However, the cost is climbing rapidly, and its taking longer than expected. I thought I would have the cab back 2 weeks ago, and it will be another week at least. I thought setting the mid Sept. goal was VERY OPTOMISTIC 3 months ago, But I would rather do it right, than half ass it to go to the show. I think I can still get him done and on the road this fall. I will post some before and after pics next week when the cab comes home.

Also Von & I may not be attending either, I still want to get him done asap, so another week away and money spent will only hinder my timeframe. We may run over Teus. night to check out all the cool cars and trucks on Wed, do the STF dinner then head home. We are only 5 hours away, so it won't be too bad. I'll keep everyone posted.

John
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Got any pics as to how it is coming along? Also, any pics of the bonded floors?

Comment

Hey Chuck,

I will post some pics next week when I get the paint on the cab, so i can post before and after pics of the cab. I will include detailed photos of the floor pans. This bonding method is supposed to be unbreakable. the metel is supposed to rip before the bond will, also no warpage from welding. It looked good today in primer. I should also have pics of the powdercoated frame.

John
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude
        the cost is climbing rapidly, and its taking longer than expected.
        Don't feel like the Lone Ranger

It happens to most of us [^]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Too bad, JB. I ws hoping to see it there. But you're right, no sense cobbling it just to meet a deadline. You know the old saying- why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?

Might I suggest you come Wed. for the dinner and stay over for the Concours on Thursday? THAT'S the peak day for looking at all the cars and trucks in one place!

I'm shooting for that schedule myself; and I'll see if I can add onto either end.

Hope to see you there!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Hey bams, your probably right, I'll try to do it Wed, and Thurs.

John
            John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Great, hope to see you there! For SB Guido made up a sheet with the cell numbers of those who wanted to give them; if he does it again, I'll be on it

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Just an observation you might think of, Bonding ONLY on the floors is NOT a good idea! You should have a few welds here and there too. If you read the back of the tube, (all brands) reccomend that welding also be used.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

I thought setting a two-year goal on my '53 was realistic six years ago.
                  It's so close to done it could make it to Lancaster if I didn't have to go to work to pay the bills; that plus, I'm the one doing all the work on the '53. Pity as, I'll probably never afford to take it to a National any farther away.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry to hear your news John, but I like several others are waiting to see some updated pics of his condition.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

I'm pretty sure he tack welded the panels in, but bonded them the rest of the way as to not warp the steel.

John
                      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

I'll be very interested to see how this hold up for you. It's always been my understanding that this was only for all new metal, both base and added. Another question is how the movement/use of a 50 year old truck will affect it, as opposed to the much more rigid modern cars.

I know you'll keep us posted; meantime I can't wait to see it on the road again![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                        X