Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control valve kit interchange HOLD OFF !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control valve kit interchange HOLD OFF !

OK, I have been led astray bu another interchange list, the kit I talked about is close, but no cigar. The some of the internals of the valve are different on the kit, although the outside is the same. I'll do some more research and get back to you.
    Ignore the below:

I found that the 64-70 Ford control valve is a clone of the Bendix unit and found a kit at my FLAPS. It's a Gates 351070 and the good news is it's as cheap as just the two seals from the vendors and more complete and with better instructions. It will rebuild the entire valve if needed and even has a end cap gasket that Studebaker omitted.
    BTW, the whole valve is often on ebay under the Ford listing.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Thanks for the post John!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I did wonder about that. I had it in the back of my head that what Ford used was the same in principle and design, but was a bit bigger.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Actually, the guts seem smaller, at least the bore is.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

That will be some good info if it comes out to be an interchange. I'll be interested to see the outcome.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

JDP, I have found that a 1957 Ford control valve kit will work. The pump kit is for a 62 Ford P/N C2SZ-3B584-A for a T-bird. Will try to find the control valve kit no.

Comment

I looked up that kit, and it looks right. It figures Studebaker would uses a 50's design into the 60's.

JDP/Maryland
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry *dumb question* control valve for what?

Comment

The power steering valve, a common leak area, and a easy repair.

JDP/Maryland
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Wellll... I don't know about easy.....[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Two screws, one nut, and a little labor is easy to me. Less then a hours labor if all goes well.

JDP/Maryland
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I wrote up a nice rebuild article, but it looks like only the first
                        page remains after the forum reboot. I could sware that I finished
                        both the hoses, the pump, and the control valve. I didnt finish the
                        power rod. Does anyone else remember? I didnt save the text that I
                        can find, so it looks like all that work was lost.

Maybe Bob Johnstone saved enough of it on his website.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom,
                          I have your Pump and Ram rebuild online I also have the control valve procedure, but from a Bendix source..

Bob Johnstone

55 President State Sedan
                          64 GT Hawk
                          70 Avanti (R3)
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Two screws, one nut, and a little labor is easy to me. Less then a hours labor if all goes well.
                            I was picturing the whole job of removing the unit and fighting with all those hoses...

I assume you're talking about just taking the end off with it on the car, correct?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

yes, just the in car seal repair.

JDP/Maryland
                              Thomas Jefferson
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X