Crusher bound soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusher bound soon.

A couple of weeks ago my brother and I arranged to look at some Studes out west of Little Rock. We discovered that we had both been to this place 30 or more years ago. The cars were in better shape then, but so was I.

59 or 60 Lark six two door.

53 Commander automatic

54 Commander Conestoga wagon.
    Unfortunately, the lot must be cleaned up by the contractor in less than two months and there are lots of ticks and chiggers. There is also more poison ivy than I have ever seen in one place. [:0] If the cars were going to be there past the first frost I might try to get parts. He wants $200.00 each.
    I have a few more pictures, but I was trying to be kind to the guys with dial-up connections.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

The wagon should be saved anyway.No way I could get through the poison Ivy to get to them if its really that bad and Little Rock is about the fartherest I would go to get a car anymore,but it should be saved IMHO.Thanks,Steve
    sigpic

Comment

They should at least be relieved of many parts before becoming scrap. It looks like there is a lot of good glass, '53 sedan grille bars (parking light housings) are the same as for '53 C/Ks, unique wagon trim, DG AT and many other things that you see when you are at the cars.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sad as it is, most of these cars were not even wrecks. This guy had a garage which years ago was way out in the country. He just tended to hang on to interesting cars and trucks. When my brother bought two trucks from him for parts over 20 years ago, he had Kaisers, Studebakers and other cars and trucks all over the hill behind his place. There's still a Kaiser 4 door up the hill from the sedan that I remember from the first time I was there in the early 70s. Most are gone now and the Lark and wagon have been vandalized. Somehow the sedan got missed, but all are very rusty from years of exposure. Strangely, the Lark's front fenders are not rusted at the back like most are. The trees would also complicate removal, although it could be done.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Kind of like this C-Cab which apparently is suffering from some terminal issues, but ,obviously has many useful and desireable parts! [^] Wish it was a lot closer.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Kind of like this C-Cab which apparently is suffering from some terminal issues, but ,obviously has many useful and desireable parts! [^] Wish it was a lot closer.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Strangely, the Lark's front fenders are not rusted at the back like most are.
              Then I suppose you don't have to be told that Job One should be to save those fenders!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Actually that truck looks much better than any of the cars. As much as I would like to save the usable parts, the environment keeps me from wanting to go back. If I bought the cars for scrap price and then hauled them the 65 miles or so back home, and then disassembled them, I would be in the hole. That's assuming the city didn't come after me when I brought them in. Joe and I push our luck zoning wise anyway!
                Some more pictures of the Lark and wagon.

Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Actually that truck looks much better than any of the cars. As much as I would like to save the usable parts, the environment keeps me from wanting to go back. If I bought the cars for scrap price and then hauled them the 65 miles or so back home, and then disassembled them, I would be in the hole. That's assuming the city didn't come after me when I brought them in. Joe and I push our luck zoning wise anyway!
                  Some more pictures of the Lark and wagon.

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

For the work involved, $200 each is too much, but you could make or save money on those parts if patient. The old scrap price topic again. Two door Lark rear fender stainless, tail light housings, plus the front fenders would be on my list of wants. But, I'm itching just thinking about that poison ivy. [V]

Comment

Oops... looks like the LF fener on that Lark has been seriously buckled anyway...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

If I bought the cars for scrap price and then hauled them the 65 miles or so back home, and then disassembled them, I would be in the hole.
                        I hear you; no doubt you're right.

I go on missions to save Studes sometimes knowing I may never recoup my costs for doing so, let alone make a buck. Still, I try to save them from crushing, knowing once they're gone they'll never help anyone. Realistically, when I die, chances are most of them will then go to the crusher; but they will at least survive as long as I do. I have the room and the licensing to keep them safe- and out of sight. It usually makes more financial sense to let them get crushed, especially at today's scrap prices vs. fuel cost to go and rescue them. But I have a love for them in my heart for them, and doing so is relaxing therapy for me.

So when it's possible, I spend a couple bucks and go get one. My goal is to eventually spend a lot of time restoring Studes, and it's always great to have parts cars on hand; for parts, but also as reference as to where a piece goes, or how it goes on. So my eye is always open! And of course there's always the hope of landing that long-forgotten Speedster, R-engine, or other rare piece; it does happen!

If some derelict comes available on, near, or semi-near my line of travel to/from Lancaster, I'll take my trusty tow dolly and add it to the stash Anybody got one?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

IF, I ever go back before those cars are gone I will have to bathe in insect repellent. I came out of there with over 70 chigger bites on my left leg and over 50 on the right leg and assorted tick bites. It was a hot miserable day and I have trouble getting very excited about going back.

Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I would be enticed, but yeah, the distance. Anyway, about the ivy we have our share around the homestead. I hatttee having to remove, in fact I try to avoid it if possible. However, for the diehard wanting to pull it some precautions are necessary. Long shirts and pants are a necessity, as well as gloves. No bare skin must be present. Ivy can put up a fight with a human, particularly with that god aweful resin, but it doesn't stand up well to a set of pruning shears, a weedwhacker, and a bow saw. Once the job is done, touch nothing. Bag the clothes up afterwards as the resin can transfer through rubbing on other items, whether clothes or human. The clothes need to be washed separately from other items in the laundry. If you do come in contact, get the calamine lotion(in fact I'd pack it with the stuff) and try not scratch to keep it from spreading. The results can linger for weeks.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

For some reason I've always been immune to poison ivy. When I was about 10 we went to my Uncle's camp and my cousin and I went into the woods to look for a tire to burn. My cousin ended up in the emergency room the next morning, while I was unscathed.

We still laugh about him going off to the hospital, crying and all pink from a coating of calamine lotion[xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X