Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to look at a Silver Hawk tommorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to look at a Silver Hawk tommorrow.

I'm going to look at a 58 Silver Hawk. What are the problem areas/ missing parts that I should watch out for or be aware of. Is there anything that is very costly that is specific to Silver Hawks? Are there any hidden bad areas?

Jerry: I see from your profile you are in Pennsylvania. That makes inspecting a potential 1958 Silver Hawk purchase remarkably easy:

You only have to look for one thing: RUST!

Rust in the floors under the driver and passenger feet. Rust in the frame, particularily the back half. Rust in the fenders. Just rust, rust, and more rust...or signs of previously-repaired rust.

In PA, the potential for mechanical issues is negligible when compared to the potential for catastrophic RUST issues. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I once heard Neil Young say "rust never sleeps".

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I once heard Neil Young say "rust never sleeps".

--george

Comment

Thanks for the info. Being from PA, I'm used to looking for rust.

I'm more interested in specifics for a Silver Hawk, like "The rear right frame over the wheel", or "If its got rust in the front frame, it cant be fixed", or "If this part is missing, you'll never find one", etc.

Just looking for some pointers on any issues that should just make me walk away. I'm not too concerned about mild body rust, because we have a lot of good, inexpensive body shops around here.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Being from PA, I'm used to looking for rust.

I'm more interested in specifics for a Silver Hawk, like "The rear right frame over the wheel", or "If its got rust in the front frame, it cant be fixed", or "If this part is missing, you'll never find one", etc.

Just looking for some pointers on any issues that should just make me walk away. I'm not too concerned about mild body rust, because we have a lot of good, inexpensive body shops around here.

Comment

Aren't frames fairly easy to find? And wouldn't you want a newer GT frame anyway? I would like to meet an inexpensive bodyman who can weld sheet metal like a pro...

Comment

an inexpensive bodyman who can weld sheet metal like a pro...

Yeah, and you can find cheap Avantis, too.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                (Under Construction 404 hrs.)
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

an inexpensive bodyman who can weld sheet metal like a pro...

Yeah, and you can find cheap Avantis, too.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 404 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                  X