overdrive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive problem

This is my first post so I hope it goes right. I have a 51 champ covertible,I have owned it since late 1991. The whole time I have owned it there has been a problem with it engaging into overdrive. Would only engage at high speed if at all.The wiring has just been double checked and is correct. We just changed the trans fluid to amsol 10w40 to see if that would help. Have driven about 200 miles and stopped and started 5o times in an effort loosen up things. It will engage but I have to hit 60 MPH on the speedometer for it to engage. I would like to engage at about 40. Can anybody help?
    PS. In 1995 somone at Dearborn meet hot wired it using a toggle switch which we tapped to ths steering column. Worked great, shifted evry time when it should have. Can anyone tell me how to do this again.? Thanks, studebakerron

Check this out it should answer your questions. Might just raise a few more.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

The governor, which is on the right hand side of the overdrive as you face forward, determins the speed at which the overdrive will engage. The governor when it reaches the proper speed closes a set of points that connects the wire coming to it to ground and causes the solenoid to engage. If the governor doesn't opeate properly until high speed the overdrive won't shift. You can tap into the wire going to the governor, run it to a switch, and then run the other treminal of the switch to ground. When you turn the switch to the on position, the overdrive should shift at any speed. Warning! When using the switch to engage the overdrive, make sure that the switch is off and you are out of overdrive before parking anywhere that you can't back up. When locked in overdrive you are locked out of reverse, and the car must be moved forward to disengage the overdrive.

Comment

Ron: From every word of your description, the governor is either bad or the points in it are dirty. Just remove the governor and clean up the points thoroughly. Chances are excellent that it will solve your problem. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a bad feeling about your comment about putting Amsoil 10w40 in the OD. The service manual makes it clear that you should use non-detergent straight 40Wt. oil. Detergent oil apparently corrodes some parts in the OD.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

its not the detergent motor oil that corrodes the yellow metals in gearboxs. The oil that will eat the yellow metals is the additives in the Hypoid type oils. Hypoid oils are oils that are used in the differentials (rear ends)
            Although the book calls for the 90 wt mineral oil or 40wt non detergent engine oil I havent experienced any issues with detergent dino oils. I don't have any expertise in the amsoil or other synthetics but I'd bet the synthetics will give you even better lubrication qualities. The only down side is cost. Oil has come a long way in the last 30-50 years.
            quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I have a bad feeling about your comment about putting Amsoil 10w40 in the OD. The service manual makes it clear that you should use non-detergent straight 40Wt. oil. Detergent oil apparently corrodes some parts in the OD.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
            Holdrege NE
            Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Why kind of transmission fluid not to use in your Borg-Warner OD

Do NOT use any synthetic transmission oil / grease in a transmission with a Borg Warner Overdrive. The rollers inside of the O/D transmission that free wheel and lockup the transmission will be too slick with the synthetic oil causing the O/D to not lockup. If someone has installed the synthetic transmission lube, you will have to remove the transmission and disassemble it completely and clean all of the individual internal parts. You CANNOT flush out the transmission with it in the car and get all of the synthetic transmission fluid out of the transmission. So use ONLY non-synthetic transmission lubricant as per factory original or modern 80/90 non-synthetic gear lubricants.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X