Was the 300 really a new design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the 300 really a new design?

I'm sure this has been already talked to death. But finally did a pic comparison. A little down and dirty.I bobbed the tail, cutout some between the front wheel to the front door and chopped the top by about half. I don't have photoshop just paint. I have always thought the design of the Chrysler 300 looked really familar.
    Malcom G

Everything old is new again. Again.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

I just don't see the similarity of that cool car and the funny-lookig old Lark. It's like saying Rosie O'Donnell and Julia Roberts look the same- they've both got 2 arms, 2 legs, and a head, so....

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Yeah, like having a double blind date and someone described them as similar...and you get Rosie!

Comment

Guess I'm in the minority, cause I saw the comparison when the car was newley released, friend of mine bought a 300 and stated to me the grill was similar, as well as the hood line that crosses aft of the grill.

The 300 is an attempt to give the impression of a lower roof line but infact they raised the door body height. Very few hot rodders have done this as of yet but I know of a few in the works, (not mine)

Of cource its not going to be the same, then it would be a chrysler lark

So in closing I think the Lark/300 looks...SIMILAR...and I'll say this, sometimes theres a RIGHT color for every car, and the 300's are the car I look at the most in determining the color of ChopStu. [8D]

Chop Stu
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

But I heard she has a nice personality...

Comment

I think the 300 looks like a 21st century version of a Checker Marathon taxicab.

Chris Pile
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The Studebaker Special
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

You know, it kind of begs for some enterprising bodyman to get a NOS Lark front panel from SASCO and graft it to the front of a 300

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

[:0][B)][xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I posted a similar thread that had an interesing turn out as well.Here it is:

I agree with you, samjoe, everything today is a modern take on an already classic design. In my opinion, it cheapens the original. On the other hand, I love driving my lark and having 300 series drivers do a double-take!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

The current 300 has always looked to me like some of the car "design" doodling some of us used to kill time in high school in the late 1950's. Some decent ideas, but nothing really original and the proportions always came out a little wrong.

But of course none of us would have been caught dead doodling a four-door sedan. (or a station wagon... er.. SUV, or pickup truck)

MikeV
                      Pompano Beach, FL
                      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

I was on the freeway several years ago in my 54 Coupe, when I noticed another 54 coming up behind me. He was back quite a ways, but it caught my eye. I slowed down to see him come up beside me. As he got closer, something was not quite right. Then when he was several cars back I noticed my error. Oooops. It was a 73 Olds Cutlass. From the front, and from a distance it looked eerily similar to my car. What a goof.

sals54
                        sals54

Comment

I was on the freeway several years ago in my 54 Coupe, when I noticed another 54 coming up behind me. He was back quite a ways, but it caught my eye. I slowed down to see him come up beside me. As he got closer, something was not quite right. Then when he was several cars back I noticed my error. Oooops. It was a 73 Olds Cutlass. From the front, and from a distance it looked eerily similar to my car. What a goof.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

quote:But of course none of us would have been caught dead doodling a four-door sedan. (or a station wagon... er.. SUV, or pickup truck)

MikeV
                            I did! [:0] Of course I didn't know what a SUV was back then. I did mostly 2 doors and convertibles but here are some 4 doors and a station wagon. Some of the drawings are too big for my scanner, that is why they are put together.

I was very southern. I named the bottom car the Lee Traveler after Robert E. Lee and his horse. Definitely not politically correct!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:But of course none of us would have been caught dead doodling a four-door sedan. (or a station wagon... er.. SUV, or pickup truck)

MikeV
                              I did! [:0] Of course I didn't know what a SUV was back then. I did mostly 2 doors and convertibles but here are some 4 doors and a station wagon. Some of the drawings are too big for my scanner, that is why they are put together.

I was very southern. I named the bottom car the Lee Traveler after Robert E. Lee and his horse. Definitely not politically correct!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X