Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first drive

FINALLY!!!!!
    After many hours and a few years of sweat and toll my "55 drove to its first cruise in years

Now I'd love to say it all went smoothly, but it didn't

First I ran out of gas, and were it not for the big brother of a stude friend, I'd still be sitting by the side of the road

Then I discovered a massive pull to the left when I hit the brakes [ yes they're adjusted]

And then i found out that my new fangled headlight relay will make my low beams bright, but also makes the high beams shut the lights off
    [open to suggestions on both little quirks of course]

However, the car made it, and was a hit, not only with the multitude of people who had begun to think i'd sold the thing or didn't own one to begin with, but with a whole bunch of people who hadn't seen a Studebaker coupe in years

Tomorrow we do it again lol

Hey- HO! Congratulations![]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey- HO! Congratulations![]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Congrats!!...

...but fix those brakes before the next cruise. You don't want to bend up that beautiful '55

A hard pull is generally NOT an adjustment problem. That's (one of) the beauty of hydraulic brakes. The adjustment only has to be close.

A hard pull means something major wrong. Foreign matter (brake fluid, grease) on a shoe, plugged flex line, bad wheel cylinder are the major culprits. Take all 4 drums off and have a look. If your flex lines are over 5 years old OR if their age is unknown...replace them.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Congrats!!...

...but fix those brakes before the next cruise. You don't want to bend up that beautiful '55

A hard pull is generally NOT an adjustment problem. That's (one of) the beauty of hydraulic brakes. The adjustment only has to be close.

A hard pull means something major wrong. Foreign matter (brake fluid, grease) on a shoe, plugged flex line, bad wheel cylinder are the major culprits. Take all 4 drums off and have a look. If your flex lines are over 5 years old OR if their age is unknown...replace them.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by ceecab

FINALLY!!!!!
            After many hours and a few years of sweat and toll my "55 drove to its first cruise in years.
            And then i found out that my new fangled headlight relay will make my low beams bright, but also makes the high beams shut the lights off
            [open to suggestions on both little quirks of course]

First..congrats! I have a '60 Lark and am not up on what your '55 is electrically, but my headlight switch was my problem and everyone thought it was the dimmer switch or relay. I had halogens first and they went out on the high beams, but so did the stock headlights. It was a nos switch, too. I went to a '61 switch; larger amp breaker and with a built in dimmer. Matched the '60-'61 wire diagrams and haven't had a problem since. What does "new fangled" mean on yours?

Comment

*new fangled headlight relay* meaning '55 's didn't have them, so I bought one from a forum member, since it brightens the low beams and uses less amperage to do it---but-- for some reason it shuts the system down whenever I hit the dimmer switch
              I probably screwed sumpin up

The brakes--well- yeah Dick, It scares me too lol

I had trouble bleeding the right front--so that's probably the problem---i hope
              Everything else is brand new

The car is gorgeous though lolol

Comment

Congrats indeed! Dick and Dave pretty well covered the problems. Doesn't sound like anything terminal, just bugs to be worked out. [8D]BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Having seen your car job well done. Like us seniors after a long nap it takes a little time to get fully awake and perform as well as we can. The time effort and work and money spent get the rewards when others look at your car and give you the thumbs up or say nice car good job. While following you last night I noticed the car pulling when brakes were applied. Looked good and you have the right to be pround of the results may it run another fifty years and you be driving it that long also.

Comment

ceecab..Good luck working the bugs out. My lights went out when I hit the dimmer, too and the switch just couldn't handle the juice. Was 1955 the first year for 12V? Have any new pics for us of your '55 yet? If not, get out there and find a good location. I had a photo op day today; here's one that didn't make the Member's Pictures..

[img][/img]

Comment

no pics yet--at least not of the car now
                      they'll be coming though

acolds is Al Kish? Thanks again for the help--and you should feel the brake pull inside the car lol

I managed to bleed that wheel and its not as bad today, although still there
                      I'll pull the drums tomorrow and see wassup

Comment

Jim,

Congratulations! I know that it has been a lengthy struggle. Now, how about a bunch of pictures?

Jim Bradley
                        Lewistown PA
                        '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Jim,

Congratulations! I know that it has been a lengthy struggle. Now, how about a bunch of pictures?

Jim Bradley
                          Lewistown PA
                          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X