PDA

View Full Version : Champion Engine I.D?

champion52
08-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello All,
I am new to the forum & have just purchased a 1952 Champion 4 dr. sedan 12G-WI. I was told the car had a N.O.S. block installed some time in the past. The only #'s I have found on the block do not correspond to any #'s listed for a studebaker engine. The #'s: 1548965-2 are located on a pad at the lower drivers side of the block.The cylinder head has the #'s: 529278. Could anyone help decoding this # to determine the year/type of the replacement engine?
Also, the fuel pump's glass bowl & the front pump mounting bolt seems to be very close to the motor mount. I have to change the pump due to an oil leak & cannot seem to get a wrench or socket on the bolt head due to the lack of clearance from the motor mount. Any suggestions?
Thank's

Dwain G.
08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
You have found the casting numbers, and while they don't offer positive identification, they do help. The engine block number was used in 1959-60 model years, and probably for a time after that for replacement purposes. The head number is also the part number (casting numbers are rarely the part number, cylinder heads in these years are one exception) You have an original 7.0 to 1, 1952 cylinder head.
At the very front,top corner of the engine block on the left (driver's) side find a smooth 1/2" by 2" area. There may be an engine serial number stamped there. If it's unstamped, or if there is a metal tag riveted to the block in that area, this probably is a factory replacement 'stripped' engine.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

champion52
08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Thank's Dwain G!
I checked the block at the location you suggested & found the area to have no I.D. #'s. This is probably a sure sign the block was a replacement. I would have liked to had the exact year for ordering replacement parts, but your 1959-60 was a big help.
I only hope that my fuel pump that I ordered will fit the block. I ordered it for a 1952. Do you know of any other parts that may be different between the 52's & 59-60's blocks?
Thank's again for the great info.

BRUCESTUDE
08-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I had a '53 pickup that had a replacement engine installed sometime in it's past, and there was a plate riveted to the left side of the block with the part #. It turned out to be a 185!
Bruce

champion52
08-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice surprise to find the 185! I looked all over the block at the locations suggested and found nothing. The small pad was on the drivers side upper block, but it was blank. Only the casting #'s located at the bottom, middle on the driver's side.
Wonder if I could find out if my original 170 block was replaced with the 185? At this point, I'm afraid to order parts until I nail down the block's size. Being I have the original head from the 170, can anyone tell me if the 185 block could be fitted with the 170 head?
Thank's again for all the great info & help!
Steve

BRUCESTUDE
08-10-2008, 12:02 PM
The main difference was that the 185 had a longer stroke. From 1955 on the main bearings were larger, thus when the engines were de-stroked back to 169.9 ci. for 1959, the bottom end was "beefier" than pre-55 sixes. The main difference between the 185 and 169 is the crank and rods, for the longer stroke.
I ended up rebuilding that 185 as a 169, as I had NOS 169 parts, including crank, rods, bearings. The heads were the same.

Dwain G.
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by champion52

Wonder if I could find out if my original 170 block was replaced with the 185? Steve

The 185 (1955-58) has a different block casting number. You have a 170 engine. There is no difference between 1959-60 170s for parts ordering, but if you want to, look for a date code on the block near the casting number (right below it I think). It will probably be something like 3 or 4 numbers followed by the letter N or O. That only tells us when the block was cast. Generally, it became an assembled engine several weeks, even months, later.
I seem to remember reading something about R/F mount interference with the fuel pump. I can't find it now though. I think you are supposed to use the later style mount on that side.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

champion52
08-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Thank's again Dwain. Your info seems to exactly describe my setup. My 1952 Champion had a later block transplant & they used the old head & fuel pump. The '52 fuel pump on the '59 or '60 block is the cause of my clearance issue with the motor mount on the right side.
I'm thinking since my old fuel pump is leaking oil from the pivot pin anyway, I should replace it with a later fuel pump to resolve the clearance issue?

champion52
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Installed the new fuel pump today. No more oil leaks! I ordered the '52 pump & prior to installation, removed the diaphram cover & re-positioned it clockwise to the next set of screw holes. Now the sediment bowl & mounting bolts are much more acessible. This effectively moved the top part of the pump with the sediment bowl away from the motor mount. Can't do that with a fuel pump on a modern car!
Thank's to all for your great info & help!!