37' identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37' identification

On the rebound from selling a rolling K body from my Studillac project, and that "Lo-Mile" R-2, I was compelled to buy this 37' 2-door:

It was a stalled body-off resto that has been sitting a long time. The running gear was gone thru, and it all seems to work. Drove the car yesterday. Needs some bodywork and interior, though the dash has been restored, and all glass is done. Lots of extra parts and clear title too. Heart was set on a batwing coupe, but at one quarter the price, I see a lot of pretty car here! (body # 37AF-1 639)
    Moloney's book alludes to this car as a "Custom Coupe for 5". I haven't seen many pictures of Dictators without a bustle in back. The previous owner calls it a St. Regis, but I have only seen that name applied to 4 doors. Is it a trim package? This car has a clock and a heater. The seats etc. are too chewed up to say much about it. The rear windows roll down. Can anyone tell me if there is a Turning Wheels featuring the 37's?
    Thanks
    Greg

Greg

Turbocharging a flathead six Yes, you can double the horsepower of a little 169 cubic inch Studebaker motor by adding a junkyard turbo! Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.

http://turbostude.com/Tribaker (LP three-wheeler project)

There was a recent article in the ASC Review a month or few ago. It included a couple photos of this model. I'll check on it when I get home. You'll probably already have your answer before that.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Coupes are nice, but that is a sweet two door sedan. I would take either style without any complaints. You did good!

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice car []

I like the 2 doors MUCH better than the coupes. To me, the roof line on the coupes never looked like it fit the rest of the car (buy maybe I'm too used to looking at Fords of that vintage?).

They also make better looking hot rods (IMHO)...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice car []

I like the 2 doors MUCH better than the coupes. To me, the roof line on the coupes never looked like it fit the rest of the car (buy maybe I'm too used to looking at Fords of that vintage?).

They also make better looking hot rods (IMHO)...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm thinking that if this is not a rare body type, it might look KOOL as a......sedan delivery or.....phaeton.....I can do it on photoshop without getting everyone pissed at me can't I? And of course, it will need a turbo on the 216" six.....
            Greg

Greg

Turbocharging a flathead six Yes, you can double the horsepower of a little 169 cubic inch Studebaker motor by adding a junkyard turbo! Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.

Comment

I swear, I've seen this model recently in one of our publications and it is quite a bit rarer than the Dictator with bustle trunk. Now I can't find it.
              Someone please tell me I've lost it!
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I swear, I've seen this model recently in one of our publications and it is quite a bit rarer than the Dictator with bustle trunk. Now I can't find it.
                Someone please tell me I've lost it!
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The lines on this 2 Door St Regis Sedan are beautiful. It would be a crime to see it rodded as there are so few originals around. I believe all 2 door sedans were referred to as St Regis Broughams. See the May-June 2007 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review. It shows fewer than 3,000 of this model were built. Gotta appreciate what the designers did back then.

Comment

The lines on this 2 Door St Regis Sedan are beautiful. It would be a crime to see it rodded as there are so few originals around. I believe all 2 door sedans were referred to as St Regis Broughams. See the May-June 2007 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review. It shows fewer than 3,000 of this model were built. Gotta appreciate what the designers did back then.

Comment

That is one sweet find. Pretty rare, I'd say and I bet Istude and Studebaker Wheel has some literature or factory pictures of that one...and maybe some stats on how many were made.

Comment

That is one sweet find. Pretty rare, I'd say and I bet Istude and Studebaker Wheel has some literature or factory pictures of that one...and maybe some stats on how many were made.

Comment

Lane Tech, a technical school in Chicago, purchased four F1 bodied Studebaker Dictators to be used in their Driver's Education classes.The Antique Studebaker Review. There is also a feature on the '37's in the August 1989 Turning Wheels. If you are looking for a very good website on a '37 Dictator restoration see: http://www.pbase.com/redtop/studerestoration It was done by Jerry Daniels of Plattville, Wisconsin.

Richard Quinn
                          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks to everyone. Guess if only 323 of these were built (mine has planar suspension) I'd better not hack the top off and make a phantom phaeton huh......Story of my life...Guess I could start teaching driver's ed......

Greg

Comment

Anybody have the May/June 2007 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review that I can purchase. How about the August 1989 Turning Wheels?
                              Haven't joined the Antique Studebaker club yet, but I guess that's the next logical step!

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X