Hemmings Classic Car Mag / Wagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Classic Car Mag / Wagons

So I went to the book store tonight and saw that the cover story was about "Wagons You Need To Buy Now." So into the article I go..... no Studes?!?!?!?! You have got to be kidding, right? Well, as I peruse the copy a little deeper, there is a separate article on Studebaker Wagons! ! ! Yay. Only a couple of pages, but cool to see. They cover the 54 Conestogas to the Larks. More notice in the public eye. Can only mean one thing. The cost of Studes will continue to rise as they gain more exposure. Grab your wallets.

sals54
    sals54

That was mentioned a week or two ago. I subscribe and have that issue- good piece on Studes, and I love the 59 Chevy/59 Pontiac wagon story as well[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

That was mentioned a week or two ago. I subscribe and have that issue- good piece on Studes, and I love the 59 Chevy/59 Pontiac wagon story as well[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
        I love the 59 Chevy/59 Pontiac wagon story as well[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews
        Bob: Did you notice the BS in that article? They said the Pontiac even had "higher-quality exterior door handles" and then showed a picture of each.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they sure look like exactly the same exterior door handles to me![^][}] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Robert (Bob) Andrews
          Bob: Did you notice the BS in that article? They said the Pontiac even had "higher-quality exterior door handles" and then showed a picture of each.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they sure look like exactly the same exterior door handles to me![^][}] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah... I've learned (and this has been discussed here recently) that in spite of best intentions, silly errors will happen. But overall the point was correct- the Pontiac was/is clearly higher quality in many ways- engine, interior, trim, etc. That's what you paid the bigger bucks for!

I love the 59 Chevies, but I'd hock the family jewels for a 59 Pontiac wagon[]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yeah... I've learned (and this has been discussed here recently) that in spite of best intentions, silly errors will happen. But overall the point was correct- the Pontiac was/is clearly higher quality in many ways- engine, interior, trim, etc. That's what you paid the bigger bucks for!

I love the 59 Chevies, but I'd hock the family jewels for a 59 Pontiac wagon[]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Robert (Bob) Andrews

I noticed that too, Bob, and as far as I know, exterior door handles were "corporate" GM and were shared amongst most of the divisions. GM's downfall would have to be in the seventies when they got too 'corporate' with too much parts interchagability and as a sad result, they all looked the same whether it was a Chev, Pontiac, Olds, or a Buick. One reason why GM is in the mess it is in now!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Robert (Bob) Andrews

I noticed that too, Bob, and as far as I know, exterior door handles were "corporate" GM and were shared amongst most of the divisions. GM's downfall would have to be in the seventies when they got too 'corporate' with too much parts interchagability and as a sad result, they all looked the same whether it was a Chev, Pontiac, Olds, or a Buick. One reason why GM is in the mess it is in now!!

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bams50

" I love the 59 Chevies, but I'd hock the family jewels for a 59 Pontiac wagon[]"

Ouch, you sure?

Seriously, those wagons were both beautiful. I still want a '59-'60 2 door wagon and have it optioned to the max like those. Talk about a different factory budget that year. Sadly, no comparison with the ride of those monsters. Nice job on both of those.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bams50

" I love the 59 Chevies, but I'd hock the family jewels for a 59 Pontiac wagon[]"

Ouch, you sure?

Seriously, those wagons were both beautiful. I still want a '59-'60 2 door wagon and have it optioned to the max like those. Talk about a different factory budget that year. Sadly, no comparison with the ride of those monsters. Nice job on both of those.

Comment

Here's a little piece I wrote to Pat on his article. Yes, it is true

Have you seen the latest edition of Hemmings Classic Car Magazine? It is arriving in mailboxes and is being placed on newsstand shelves as you read this. The article starting on page 60
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Here's a little piece I wrote to Pat on his article. Yes, it is true

Have you seen the latest edition of Hemmings Classic Car Magazine? It is arriving in mailboxes and is being placed on newsstand shelves as you read this. The article starting on page 60
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

In 1961 I was living with a lady that had a 1959 Chevrolet station wagon that she purchased new (traded in her Jeep station wagon). She was in an accident with the Chevrolet wagon that required the replacement of the frame. I guess that the wagon was so near new that the frame replacement (along with the sheet metal, etc.) cost was warranted.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

In 1961 I was living with a lady that had a 1959 Chevrolet station wagon that she purchased new (traded in her Jeep station wagon). She was in an accident with the Chevrolet wagon that required the replacement of the frame. I guess that the wagon was so near new that the frame replacement (along with the sheet metal, etc.) cost was warranted.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X