Wiring diagram for AM radio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram for AM radio...

I got my 50 Stude shop manual in the mail today and there's nothing in it regarding the radio, not even in the wiring diagram. I'm trying to figure out why mine doesn't work. Does anyone have any info on the wiring? Is there a fuse for it somewhere? Is there a fuse box in the car? How do you actually remove the radio? I'd like to try to see if I can fix it myself before taking it to a shop or shipping it somewhere. Thanks in advance for any info....[8D]

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

There is a inline fuse on the power wire. To remove the radio take the two screws out from under the front of the dash and the one wing nut at the rear. Once out, sent it to a shop to have the old capacitors replaced, a solid state vibrator installed and perhaps a tube or two swapped with new ones.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a shop that can do this, how long does it take, and what's the approx. cost? I should probably replace the speaker too so will a regular 6x9 work or does it have to be a special (and of course more expensive) one for the 6V system? Also, does the car have a fuse box? Thanks again....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

You may find it's as almost as cheap to have it converted to modern, solid state guts. I'd estimate two hundred or so to get it rebuilt. Other forum members may suggest shops they've been happy with.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm sure that you'll find a great resource near to your home, but in Sacramento, CA we rely on http://raysautostereo.com.

Best of luck.

Jersey2J | Sacramento, CA
          Studebaker Fans: http://www.studebakerguide.com

Comment

The voltage the radio is operating on (6, 12, or 110) has no relationship to the speaker. They are rated in ohms impedance, usually 4 or 8 ohms, and are matched to the output transformer in the radio. For non-critical (non-high-fi) use, either 4 or 8 ohms should work fine. Most any speaker of the correct physical size should work.

Jerry Buck
            Racine, Wisconsin
            '53 Champion Coupe - C (owned since 1956)
            '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

No fuse box. Lights ran through circuit breakers on a bracket under the dash. Other switches (wipers, etc.) have a circuit breaker attached. Any fused items (like the radio or clock) are inline.

The radio came with its own Owners Manual in the glove box. I think it included schematics. I had one but I think I sent it to Dave Mottle so he could make it available to any SDC member who wanted it.

There's a link from the "Home" page above, to "Valuable Links" to "Studebaker Vendors" to: http://www.clge.com/radiorelics/

By exploring the "Home" page, you can also find the link to Dave Mottle's collection of instructions and templates, available to any SDC member.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X