Studebaker @ Ind State Fair: PICS ATTACHED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker @ Ind State Fair: PICS ATTACHED

Imagine my surprise yesterday at The 2008 Indiana State Fair: When making my rounds in The Pioneer Farm Village, what do my wandering eyes behold but an unrestored, horsedrawn Studebaker sleigh!

Yep, like a box wagon about 10 feet long but a sleigh, with large runners. 'Had to have been hidden somewhere for a looooong time, because it was obviously weathered and unrestored, but the curving Studebaker script on each side was clearly visible and good enough to replicate, if someone so desired. 'Couldn't find a serial number plate to confirm if it was intended to be pulled by 6 or 8 horses, but the tack and harness suggested only 1 HP, max.[:0][:I][8D]

EDIT Aug 9: Photos below, courtesy of Joe Bacon. Thanks, Joe!

(The Pioneer Farm Village is a working maybe mid-20s prairie farmsite, with operating steam traction engines and such powering everything. A great feature of our fair; where I spend most of my time every year. About 20% of the exhibits change every year, and this sleigh was a "newbie" for 2008. 'Friend of mine is a principle in the accompanying antique tractor show and reported they had about 248 running antique tractors in the show this year.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob. hopefully you stodd by this discovery and had that famous picture taking grinning ear to ear of that new find
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Rare as heck! Wow, Bob. Get a photog on that assignment asap. [^]

Comment

Rare as heck! Wow, Bob. Get a photog on that assignment asap. [^]

Comment

I'll be at the Fair Saturday morning and get pictures if Bob is not getting there before. I'll be at the Natural Resources building so the sleigh is just next door.

It is an addiction!
          It is an addiction!

Comment

I'll be at the Fair Saturday morning and get pictures if Bob is not getting there before. I'll be at the Natural Resources building so the sleigh is just next door.

It is an addiction!
            It is an addiction!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbwhttail

It is an addiction!
              Joe: I'll not be back, so please get some pics.

The SS (Studebaker Sleigh) is just outside the WEST door in the center of the big, red "farmhouse" around which all the activities center in the Pioneer Farm Village area. If you are at The Natural Resources Building, it's at the opposite (east) end of the long backstretch of the racetrack.

Neat sleigh; you should be able to get a good photo of the Studebaker script. Thanks! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We are going on Saturday I will look for it.

Comment

I love our State Fair, which starts at the end of the month. Haven't missed one since I was 5 years old[^]

We have an antique tractor show as well; mostly JD, but some AC, MM, Oliver, etc. Also some running hit-and-miss engines and other goodies. There's also a carriage museum with a working really old-style blacksmith shop. On top of that, there's a big ag history museum, with all types of plows, thrashers, hay bines, churns, hand tools, you name it! (I'm such a country boy[:I])

I like the trade show stuff- we always look forward to the slick-handed hustlers selling slicers, choppers, magic shammies, Ginsu knives, etc. etc. We still bring the younger kids for ride-all-day-for-one-price day, check out all the cows/pigs/horses, car races, and eat a mountain of junk food

Now we just need a Studebaker wagon for the museum

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I love our State Fair, which starts at the end of the month. Haven't missed one since I was 5 years old[^]

We have an antique tractor show as well; mostly JD, but some AC, MM, Oliver, etc. Also some running hit-and-miss engines and other goodies. There's also a carriage museum with a working really old-style blacksmith shop. On top of that, there's a big ag history museum, with all types of plows, thrashers, hay bines, churns, hand tools, you name it! (I'm such a country boy[:I])

I like the trade show stuff- we always look forward to the slick-handed hustlers selling slicers, choppers, magic shammies, Ginsu knives, etc. etc. We still bring the younger kids for ride-all-day-for-one-price day, check out all the cows/pigs/horses, car races, and eat a mountain of junk food

Now we just need a Studebaker wagon for the museum

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I wonder if the owner would sell it??????

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

I wonder if the owner would sell it??????
                        There are permanent displays in The Pioneer area, and there are temporary ones. This sleigh looks like a permanent installation, as if it has been donated to the area.

A Purdue Alum, Maurice Williamson, is the brains behind The Pioneer Village, and puts the arm on Purdue Alums around the country for donations. He's been very successful at it through the years; The Pioneer area enjoys excellent volunteer participation and donations.

Had I been thinking a little farther ahead, I saw Maurice there and would have approached him and asked about it. I don't know him personally, but do know who he is and usually stop to thank him for all his work as a fellow Purdue Alum. I'm betting the sleigh will be right there for years to come, as it looks like it's found a permanent home. It may have even been there previously and I hadn't been on that side of the area to notice it.

(I hope they pull it inside, though, after the fair's run; the Studebaker lettering doesn't need too many more seasons outside!)[:0][V]

Hopefully, Joe Bacon will have pictures posted this weekend. BP

Comment

Yeah! I'd like to see that sleigh myself (I mean in a photo). I'm working up a story that involves an "SS".[:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, if Joe takes a real nice photo, it should sleigh everyone on the Forum, Biggsy.

...groan... [:0][xx(]BP

Comment

[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X