OHV 6 valve adjusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV 6 valve adjusting

I have about 100 miles on my 63 Lark's rebuilt six and was hearing a little skipping sound out the tailpipe today. Time to re-adjust them? Being an OHV, it should be a dream job, compared to the flathead sixes I've done! Thanks.

Western Washington, USA

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

I have about 100 miles on my 63 Lark's rebuilt six and was hearing a little skipping sound out the tailpipe today. Time to re-adjust them? Being an OHV, it should be a dream job, compared to the flathead sixes I've done! Thanks.

Western Washington, USA
    Sure, Tom, but retorque the head first. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Skipping sound out tailpipe at idle maybe ignition timing advanced too much.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Okay, dumb question of the day...would an ADVANCED timing have the IGN hashmark (past, or) to the left of the indicator, as you're sitting in the driver's seat?

Western Washington, USA

Comment

As you face the engine, rotation is clockwise. So if timing is advanced, the IGN mark won't have reached the pointer yet when ignition occurs. If a timing light is showing the IGN is past (left side of/ driver's side of) the pointer, then the timing is late.

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain!

Comment

Working...
            X