Arizona Nationals in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Nationals in 2010

I heard through the grape vine that the 2010 International meet will be early June, in Phoenix, at or near the new stadium and ....on black top. Not to criticize but I remember the International at South Bend about 25 or so years ago when they did something similar. I was in my thirties and thought I was going to die of heat stroke. All the older members were packed in McDonalds and anywhere else it was cool. That was 20 or 30 yrs ago and the average age of the club's members is probably fifteen years older now. I just can't fathom Arizona summer heat on blacktop for a car show. Hopefully I have bad info. Anybody know any details??

Wait until 2011 it will be in Springfield, Mo. Lots of shade trees.
    And I will be 71 years old.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Yes the Arizona meet will be in 2010. Yes it is in June. There are not many options besides asphalt or concrete. Gravel or sand is not good and grass is a rare commodity there.[8D] I am sure a committee member will chime in here. I have some knowledge of the meet since I belong to the Grand Canyon Chapter but am not on the committee. All we can do is hope mother nature will cooperate.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Many of the Grand Canyon meet Committee either lurk here or are active partcipants. It is a fact the meet is in phoenix and it in June but I'll let them give you the details as they are the one doing the planning. Also if you have questions, they will be in Lancaster at the 44th Annual International Meet and I am sure will want to answer all of your questions. If you come early, some of the AZ committee will be there on aturday.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I guess a month or so earlier was out of the question? What about higher elevation like Flagstaff or Payson where it is substantially cooler? I honestly think the meet could be hazardous to many members if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Comment

The AVERAGE temp in Phoenix in June is 104 F...

View the latest weather forecasts, maps, news and alerts on Yahoo Weather. Find local weather forecasts for Burbank, United States throughout the world

Too hot for this Northwest hombre

I love Phoenix in the winter, but I don't care how DRY the heat is...104 is too much!

I'm sure that if you live in Phoenix, it doesn't feel extreme. But just as we don't get many visitors to the PNW during our rainy winter (but it's what WE are used to), not many are flocking to Phoenix in the summer.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

NSRA changed a national meet from July to April in Oklahoma City because of the heat and probably of the average age of a street rodder.

Good Guys Speedway show in Kansas City is Labor Day weekend. No trees, NASCAR cars don't do well around trees. No shade. No air conditioned buildings. I hope they decide to air condition at least one building for relief. DesMoines Good Guys has lots of shade, air conditioned buildings, and an inviting site.

BRAD

Comment

It has been quite a few years since SDC has been able to choose between several possible proposals for the Intl Meet. We now must actively recruit chapters to consider hosting the meet, and must assist them in a variety of ways to plan the meet and negotiate with hotels and other vendors. While chapters are promised a profit of $5K, running an Intl Meet generally requires the full-time participation of most chapter members for the whole week. Some chapters are simply not big enough to pull it off. Vice President Richard Dormois spends a good portion of his life trying to browbeat local chapters into considering acting as host.

SDC tries to move the meet around the continent, and return to South Bend every five years or so. Other considerations include: wide range of hotels, suitability of show and flea market site, ability to do it all at one site, variety of local attractions, time of year, weather, etc. However, no place ever gets a score of A+ on every feature. In particular, hotel rates in many areas are much higher during the nicest weather -- so the Intl Meet Committee and the local chapter usually has to compromise on the preferred date in order to keep the room rates within reason. This was the case with Arizona.

Many cities simply do not have a hotel/conference facility that is large enough to provide all of the services that we want -- South Bend is an example. Alhough Lancaster is a smaller city, it is a big tourist area, and has a wide wariety of hotels -- including a large conference facility that has enough facilities for all of our functions.

The IMC works very hard to find the right compromise between all of the factors listed in our Intl Meet Policy -- but no matter what combination of factors is chosen, some percentage of the membership will be unhappy. By the time the proposal gets to the SDC board, there is virtually no negotiation room left. It's pretty much a take-it-or-leave-it situation.

Skip Lackie
                Board member, Atlantic Zone

Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip, I know I've mentioned this before, but I think far more attention needs to be placed on the time of the meet. Phoenix is fine...in March or October. I know the CASO attitude shows up in regards to room cost, but setting up rooms based on the off season without regard to the typical weather for an area isn't smart either. How many non-air conditioned cars do you think will show up without a trailer? I'd personally rather spend a little extra on the hotel room and spend time away from it, than get a slightly better, off season rate and have to hide in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Don't worry about the heat. I know many will not believe me but 100 in Phoenix is far less noticeable than 85 to 90 other places in the country because of the humidity. I have attended 31 International meets. July in South Bend, Cincinnati, St Louis, Dearborn were much worse. Except for the concours everything is inside the hotel. Room where swap meet will be held has 30,000 sq ft of space. The lot we will use for the concourse still is in negotiation. Room rates for the host hotel is $103 per night. This a four star hotel. These rooms sold for nearly $1000 for the Super Bowl last year. The area where the hotel is located is loaded with restarants, movie theater, retail stores and a Cabella's sporting goods store. All within a short walking distance. We tried to find a venue in May or October but low rates in the valley are far too high during the peak season. We promise you an enjoyable time.
                    Denny Lockmon

Comment

I agree with Green 53.
                      As a former Phoenix area...and Dayton, Ohio and Kansas City..resident, I'd take Phoenix over the midwest that time of year. Anyday!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Folks think about Sacramento a few years ago in June. Yes it was hot but very dry and not as noticable as in SB in other years. If we can do Sacramento we sure can do Phoenix especially since all is inside excluding the Conciurs Field. Really am glad we are not paying $1,000.00 a night. At $103.00 that is only a $4.00 increase over Lancaster this year and it is TWO YEARS away. Not so bad a deal and a good time will be had by all.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Does the $103 per night room rate include the $11 per night parking fee?
                          Or is that an extra cost we'll have to pay.

Comment

Anyone got a direct link or phone number for the hotel?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Well, as this will be the first International Meet on the "west" side of the continent in a little while, I am planning to be there.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                              May 23 & 24, 2009?
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X