PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Wagonaires...

gordr
08-05-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm working on this one right now.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/64wag01.jpg

It's a '64 Daytona Wagonaire, originally a U.S. car, lo these many years ago. I have had it for 15 years or more, and it moved me and my belongings from Calgary to my present home in Trochu. And I did move a fridge (and a welding outfit) standing upright with the roof slid open. It has been sitting unused for 8 years or more, now. I moved it a couple of weeks ago to facilitate work on the house, and decided it might be time to pay a little attention to it. The carpeting was all full of mouse droppings, so I dragged the carpets out, and burned them in the burning barrel. I washed the floor out Saturday with the pressure washer, and left it all day Sunday to dry. Two rain showers didn't help that very much. Late this afternoon, after doing a nasty little job on my Suburban, I got into the floor repair, picking up where I'd left off, some 10 years ago. On the passenger side, I had already renewed a 4" wide strip of metal all along the door sill area, from pillar to pillar, and had made a start on the bolt pocket at the base of the "A" pillar. There was a big, roughly triangular hole bounded on the front by the diagonal strut running from the batwing crossmember to the chassis bolt forward of the front seat, on the outer side by the aforementioned strip of new metal, and on the rear by the sub-floor reinforcement plate for the forward seat mounting bolt. The rear side of this hole had a number of doglegs in it.

I laid piece of fairly thick sheet steel over the hole, and from below, I traced the outline of the hole with a Sharpie marker. Then I flipped it over, and traced about a quarter-inch overlap allowance. I then cut along that line with air and hand shears to make my patch panel. Since it was a large hole, and since I was putting down basically flat steel, I decided a stiffening rib was in order, so I cut a piece of hat channel stock (I have a supply I had made at a sheet metal shop.) to run from near the inboard end of the diagonal floor strut to just beyond the rear outer corner of the hole. I welded this in place, with its flanges flush with the top of metal surrounding the hole. I then laid the patch in place, and traced the outline of the hat channel on its underside, and took it to the drill press, and drilled two rows of holes for plug welds to attach it to the hat channel.

Setting the patch panel in place, I first welded it to the middle of the hat channel, and then started welding around the perimeter. Where I had to hammer it down, to fit irregularities in the floor, I put a hydraulic bottle jack under the floor area undergoing work, to provide an anvil to hammer upon.

This patch panel is now fully welded in from the top. I can stand on it, and it doesn't give or oilcan; feels rock-solid. I'll put a few welds on the underside, but overhead welding is no fun, so there won't be many.:)

I plan to carry on in the same fashion, doing the remainder of the passenger side floor, and the front floor on the driver's side. That will be a little more work, as the base of the "A" pillar there is very bad. But it's not flopping loose, and the door still closes fine, so all I have to do is form replacement sections for the pillar and weld them in place.

The brakes are down on the car, so once the floor is dealt with, I'll do what I have to do to make them work; bleeding at the very least, I guess.

This Wagonaire has a 259 with WCFB carburetor, and a Flightomatic. Tranny works fine. The engine runs smoothly, but it's tired. Oil pressure is low, and it burns oil, using quite a lot a highway speeds. It seems to be pumping a lot of oil past the rocker arms, and filling the valve covers, then, burning it past the guides. I'm sure it could use a set of rings and rod bearings, if not a full rebuild. It's a full-flow engine, BTW, and it has Silvertone dual stainless exhausts, with a pair of glass-pack mufflers. Sounds real fine, too.:D

The front doors are pretty rotten in

lstude
08-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Is that a Daytona? Bob Palma is looking for a white 64 Daytona Wagonaire.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

showbizkid
08-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Gord, I love your narratives. Thanks for sharing this story. I'd love a Wag someday...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

bams50
08-05-2008, 05:17 AM
For some reason, white with red interior is my favorite Wagonaire color combo[8D]

Hey Gord, here's an idea: Bring it down to me on the way to Lancaster... I've got a guest room here with your name on it!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

scott.rodgers
08-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Gord,

Follow the progress of my 63 to 65 Daytona Wagonaire conversion:

http://community.webshots.com/user/apenaut

Scott Rodgers
Los Angeles
SDC Member since 1989
'60 Lark HT
'63 Wagonaire

BobPalma
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd

[:0] It [u]is</u> a Daytona, Leonard, but I appreciate Gordon's honest description so much I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with.

Hopefully, one as nice as your convertible (seriously). Not perfect, but just a little worn with no previous rust issues. You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!

Thanks for keeping me in mind. :D BP

bams50
08-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I'd love the roof rack off that[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

StudeRich
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
FYI; Leonard & interested other Wagonaire watchers, when you see the wide aluminum body side moulding with the wide center black stripe on '64's and Cruiser type two recessed narrow Black stripes on '65, as opposed to a narrow Stainless on Commanders, and none on '64 Challengers you know you have a Daytona also with the best interior.

On the Daytona, you also get those side window surround mouldings you see here, and the big aluminum plate on the tailgate with the chrome lettering all the way across.

All of the side trim also matches that on the Daytona 4Dr. sedan.

quote:Originally posted by lstude

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Bob; I don't remember now for sure now but I THOUGHT that the "perfect one" from the 2001 Donald, WA McDonald Apple Orchard
Estate sale auction by Silver Auctions, DID go East of the Rockies! [^] [:p]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/64WagonaireWhtRed.jpg
This car OF COURSE is the required Astra White, and a Daytona, but otherwise REALLY SPECIAL! It has 289 Engine, Power Disc.
Brakes, P/S, Air Cond., R&H, tinted windshield, Maroon all Vinyl Interior, Bucket Seats, 4 speed Trans., power tailgate window, 3rd.
seat, tailgate step ladder, wheelcovers, front bumper guards, roof rack. In other words, more than "loaded"!

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is the 4 speed, it could have been a Powershift.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

/cut/I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with./cut/
You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

garyash
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Gord, does Curtis Lagasse still have the molds for making the rear quarter panels for the Wagonaire? If so, he may have a business opportunity with other Wagonaire owners. I just made a steel set of the lower halves aft of the wheel opening for my '63 Wagonaire project. It wasn't easy and fiberglass parts would be just fine. It's the inner fender sheet metal that is a real problem to fabricate and that's where there is usually lots of rot.

I'll pay close attention to your suggestions, especially as my '63 does have one door post flapping when both the front and rear doors are open. Maybe I should just convert it into a gull-wing with a hinge at the top of the post!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
web site at http://www.studegarage.com

gordr
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
" It is a Daytona, Leonard, but I appreciate Gordon's honest description so much I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with."

C'mon, Bob, the price could be very right, and once the floors are done, it could be one of the solidest Wagonaires you could find. Original color was indeed White.

Gary, Curtis lost his molds in a garage fire, but AFAIK, he has all the NOS panels he used as the plugs. He made better Hawk and Lark fenders than Newman and Altman sold, back in the day. I'll chat with him one day, and find out the status of his stuff.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

garyash
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Too bad about Curtis losing the molds. I hope he could make some new ones. Here's a photo of where I put in new metal for the rear quarters on the '63 Wagonaire. I hand formed them with some sheet metal seaming pliers, dolly and hammer, and a big steel post for the main curve. I used a hand-held air flanging tool from Harbor Freight for the joint. My '65 Wagonaire was rusted in about the same places, but I found complete original panels 10 years ago for only $200 a side. If you can find them, I think they are now over $1000 a pair and it's a major job to install them. The critical part is everything below the crease from about 1/2 way back on the wheel opening. Ideally, the fiberglass part should wrap around the back. Does this idea fit with other Wagonaire owners' experience? I would have gladly paid $100 per side for fiberglass pieces and I suspect that after having done it I would have paid more, LOL.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/63wagon/Ash_63wagonaire_rearqtr.jpg

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard

Gordy911
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I just think wagons are so cool. When I was growing up we had several one a 60 ford and a 59 pontiac bonne ville wagon and a 63 chev wagon midnight blue with a 4 speed on the floor what a cool car i always wanted that but had to settle for a 55 chev i drove in high school along with my model a pickiup seemed which ever had gas in it and would start you were good to go. that was before you needed car insurance and plates had wing nuts for transfer purposes..good ole days..love those daytona wagons with retro wheels.

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

BobPalma
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Bob; I don't remember now for sure now but I THOUGHT that the "perfect one" from the 2001 Donald, WA McDonald Apple Orchard
Estate sale auction by Silver Auctions, DID go East of the Rockies! [^] [:p]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/64WagonaireWhtRed.jpg
This car OF COURSE is the required Astra White, and a Daytona, but otherwise REALLY SPECIAL! It has 289 Engine, Power Disc.
Brakes, P/S, Air Cond., R&H, tinted windshield, Maroon all Vinyl Interior, Bucket Seats, 4 speed Trans., power tailgate window, 3rd.
seat, tailgate step ladder, wheelcovers, front bumper guards, roof rack. In other words, more than "loaded"!

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is the 4 speed, it could have been a Powershift.

/cut/I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with./cut/
You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!

[:p] Do you have any idea where that wagon went, Rich? I'd really like to find out. Really.

I don't care one way or another about engine/trans combo. All 1964 domestic Daytona Wagonaires are gonna have at least a 180HP 259. Even 180 HP in front of a Flightomatic is just fine by me....you know, "She's Real Fine, my Two-Fifty-Nine...." and all that. Thanks. :D;)[8D]:)BP

StudeRich
08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah Bob, my drool is probably STILL on the hood! :D Lol!

When I return from Dave's retirement in San Diego next week, I'll try to remember to contact Mr. McDonald and find out if he has a record of who got it and where! Then we can "duke it out" over it! :D [B)]

Oh; by the way, as if that was not enough, did I mention, I think it also had a TT and an AFB Four barrel! [:p]

I don't care one way or another about engine/trans combo. All 1964 domestic Daytona Wagonaires are gonna have at least a 180HP 259. Even 180 HP in front of a Flightomatic is just fine by me....you know, [red][i][b]"She's Real Fine, my Two-Fifty-Nine...."and all that. Thanks.

studeclunker
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Speaking about rust... I have two Daytonas that spent their lives in the San Fransisco bay area. One is completely rusted out in the rear quarter behind the rear wheels. The doors all have rust issues as well. Yet, yet... the floors are beautiful! Go figure!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

StudeRich
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Ron; the sliding roof overflow catch rail drain hoses do water the "B" pillar post and the rear quarter panels very nicely you know! Should have a nice crop of mold and mud in there! Lol! :D

Maybe someone washed this car more than once, or left it out in the rain, two big NO, NO's! [:0] :(

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Ron; the sliding roof overflow catch rail drain hoses do water the "B" pillar post and the rear quarter panels very nicely you know! Should have a nice crop of mold and mud in there! Lol! :D

Maybe someone washed this car more than once, or left it out in the rain, two big NO, NO's! [:0] :(

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

sals54
08-06-2008, 01:52 AM
OK, I've got to chime in on this one. I have to say that since I got my Wagonaire, I never imagined how much fun they could be. Everywhere I go with this car a crowd gathers. I just took it to a car show where there were very pricey cars being shown. The Stude had the biggest crowd the whole event. I wonder how these guys feel after spending countless thousands on their car to be out shown by a lowly Studebaker..... wagon, no less. I loved it. Wagons ROCK.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/IMG_0985.jpg

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

sals54
08-06-2008, 01:52 AM
OK, I've got to chime in on this one. I have to say that since I got my Wagonaire, I never imagined how much fun they could be. Everywhere I go with this car a crowd gathers. I just took it to a car show where there were very pricey cars being shown. The Stude had the biggest crowd the whole event. I wonder how these guys feel after spending countless thousands on their car to be out shown by a lowly Studebaker..... wagon, no less. I loved it. Wagons ROCK.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/IMG_0985.jpg

sals54

bams50
08-06-2008, 04:58 AM
True enough, Sal! In fact I find that to be the case with most Studes.

Most casual old car onlookers tend to always look at any Vette or muscle car; but it's usually just a cursory glance. But an old wagon, orphan, or bread-and-butter car seems to get a much longer, more involved examination.

My theory is, people may think a Vette is cool, but there are no memories connected with it; but everybody who grew up in the 60s or 70s either spent a lot of time in, or saw plenty of, wagons. Those bring back great memories of everyday life, family trips, and many learned to drive on the family wagon. That connection just isn't there with the "glamour" cars.

I grew up in Lincolns, and a few Cadillacs; so they have a place in my heart as well. Funny thing: When I drive a Stude, plenty of folks have a story of one they had, or a story about someone else that did. But when I drive my 65 Lincoln convertible, I get lots of oohs and ahhs, but followed by some variation of "That's just like the car Kennedy was killed in"[xx(] I always laugh, but it made me aware of how different cars trigger different memories/emotions in people[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

BobPalma
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

True enough, Sal! In fact I find that to be the case with most Studes.

Most casual old car onlookers tend to always look at any Vette or muscle car; but it's usually just a cursory glance. But an old wagon, orphan, or bread-and-butter car seems to get a much longer, more involved examination.

My theory is, people may think a Vette is cool, but there are no memories connected with it; but everybody who grew up in the 60s or 70s either spent a lot of time in, or saw plenty of, wagons. Those bring back great memories of everyday life, family trips, and many learned to drive on the family wagon. That connection just isn't there with the "glamour" cars.

I grew up in Lincolns, and a few Cadillacs; so they have a place in my heart as well. Funny thing: When I drive a Stude, plenty of folks have a story of one they had, or a story about someone else that did. But when I drive my 65 Lincoln convertible, I get lots of oohs and ahhs, but followed by some variation of "That's just like the car Kennedy was killed in"[xx(] I always laugh, but it made me aware of how different cars trigger different memories/emotions in people[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews

:) Your overall theory is spot-on, Bob. It's been proven many times over by the broad appeal of Studebaker's 1950-1951 bullet-nose cars. The company built so many of them that with trading frequency being what it was in the 1950s, many families were exposed to bullet-nose ownership in addition to the original owner. That, plus those cars' unique style, enamors a broad cross-section of the country's population. :DBP

sals54
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Bams, I agree 100%. Memories are so funny that way. Smells, music, and visual cues are all triggers that, I believe, most people are not even aware of themselves.

sals54

Bill Pressler
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Smells, music, and visual cues are all triggers that, I believe, most people are not even aware of themselves.

How true. My grandparents' house always smelled of Pine Sol cleaner. To this day when I'm anywhere and smell that smell, it takes me right back to Grandma's house! That's thirty and more years ago.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

mbstude
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Wagonaires are one of the funnest cars from South Bend.

Dad's is the dusty blue one. :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/meeting006.jpg

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/meetingsmall3.jpg

bams50
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I've always been aware of trigger smells. Some of my favorites are MoPars of the late 60s/early 70s and 73-77 mid-size GMs; both groups I have a real love for, and have a distinctive smell. Same with general old-car smells (to a point). Our Conversion Van smells like Disney/Florida/vacation- sort of a beach/chlorine smell. Hard to explain, but definitely triggers the memories.

Parish, central NY 13131

sals54
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
My wife has a very sensitive nose. She can tell the difference between a Studebaker and a 60s Chevy. She doesn't know much about cars, but she likes the smell of a Chevy, but even after 30 years does not like the smell of my Studebaker on me. Maybe she's not entirely up front with me about her feelings for my Studebaker???? No, it can't be.... it's not true...... Oh, my, now I have to reassess my entire life.

sals54

Guido
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Wagonaires are one of the funnest cars from South Bend. Is that your sister's opinion too???? [}:)]

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

mbstude
08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
quote: Is that your sister's opinion too???? [}:)]

I think you know the answer. ;)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/meetingsmall3.jpg

sals54
08-07-2008, 01:12 AM
She loves me.... I know she loves me.... she would never leave me for a stinkin Ch*vy.... right??? It just can't be..... Oh, I'm so troubled....

sals54

gordr
08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Here's an update:

I'm basically finished the front half of the passenger-side floor. Only a few spots remain to be done. And the rear side of the passenger floor needs a little, but not a lot, of welding.

Here's a pic showing the bottom layer of the structure that ties the "A" pillar in to the batwing crossmember: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/PillarBase1.jpg

Here's the same area after an upper layer has been added, forming a sort-of wedge-shaped box section that ought to be pretty strong. This is heavy sheet metal, too, heavier than stock Studebaker floor metal: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/PillarBase2.jpg

Note that we now have a fairly smooth sloped floor surface, with a 1 1/4" hole to access the mounting bolt. I'll use an air/solvent gun to blow some rust paint into the pocket underneath that upper layer, once the welding is all done. Got some welds in on the underside, too.

Here's an overview of the entire passenger floor. The newly-added pieces should be pretty obvious. I added a few small patches to the outboard rear of the seat mounting area. Curtis had previously brazed in some patch panels there (pre-1982), and they held up pretty well. I just patched the obvious weak spots. The floor in that area STILL felt solid. For those folks who might not know what I meant by "hat channel", there's a piece of it balanced on the center seat support. That double row of weld spots marks where a piece of hat channel is used to stiffen the underside of that big patch. Useful stuff, it is.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/WagonaireFloor1.jpg

I hope these pics convey some useful information. This isn't hard work to do, just time-consuming. I have about 12 hours into this phase of the repair right now. Dollar expenditure? Next to nothing. Probably about five dollar's worth of hat channel from the sheet metal shop, and about the same in welding wire and gas. The sheet metal used is all "found" scrap, but even if new metal were used, the cost would be trivial. The end result won't be a pretty "concourse-grade" floor, but it will keep your feet from dragging on the road. Carpet on the top side, and undercoat on the bottom, and it would take an eagle eye to see that the profile is not quite as the factory built it. It's all about saving a Studebaker.

gordr
08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Here's an update:

I'm basically finished the front half of the passenger-side floor. Only a few spots remain to be done. And the rear side of the passenger floor needs a little, but not a lot, of welding.

Here's a pic showing the bottom layer of the structure that ties the "A" pillar in to the batwing crossmember: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/PillarBase1.jpg

Here's the same area after an upper layer has been added, forming a sort-of wedge-shaped box section that ought to be pretty strong. This is heavy sheet metal, too, heavier than stock Studebaker floor metal: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/PillarBase2.jpg

Note that we now have a fairly smooth sloped floor surface, with a 1 1/4" hole to access the mounting bolt. I'll use an air/solvent gun to blow some rust paint into the pocket underneath that upper layer, once the welding is all done. Got some welds in on the underside, too.

Here's an overview of the entire passenger floor. The newly-added pieces should be pretty obvious. I added a few small patches to the outboard rear of the seat mounting area. Curtis had previously brazed in some patch panels there (pre-1982), and they held up pretty well. I just patched the obvious weak spots. The floor in that area STILL felt solid. For those folks who might not know what I meant by "hat channel", there's a piece of it balanced on the center seat support. That double row of weld spots marks where a piece of hat channel is used to stiffen the underside of that big patch. Useful stuff, it is.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/WagonaireFloor1.jpg

I hope these pics convey some useful information. This isn't hard work to do, just time-consuming. I have about 12 hours into this phase of the repair right now. Dollar expenditure? Next to nothing. Probably about five dollar's worth of hat channel from the sheet metal shop, and about the same in welding wire and gas. The sheet metal used is all "found" scrap, but even if new metal were used, the cost would be trivial. The end result won't be a pretty "concourse-grade" floor, but it will keep your feet from dragging on the road. Carpet on the top side, and undercoat on the bottom, and it would take an eagle eye to see that the profile is not quite as the factory built it. It's all about saving a Studebaker.

bams50
08-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Looks great, Gord. That floor's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Does that center plate mean this car has buckets and console?

Parish, central NY 13131

Warren Webb
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
The center plate was also used on cars equipped with split seats (50/50). My 60 Lark has them & I parted a 65 Crusier a few years ago with them, both used the same denter plate as ones with bucket seats.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

BobPalma
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM
:) 'Lookin' good, Gordon; nice work. :DBP

sals54
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Looks great. The metal added looks to be a heavier gage than the original. Added strength?

sals54

sals54
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Looks great. The metal added looks to be a heavier gage than the original. Added strength?

sals54

Roscomacaw
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Excellent work and report, Gord! Wish you were here to help tack in these patches in my Raunch Coop. Actually, I'm done with them. Working on refitting the doors with glass and WS now.:)

BTW, this 4-spd wagon I have may well belong to a new owner pretty soon. I sure hope it meets a better fate than me parting it out.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

studegary
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Gary A. - Your picture appears to show a 1963 wagon, not a 1963 "Wagonaire." In 1963, only sliding roof wagons were Wagonaires. When the sliding roof was deleted, it was just a station wagon. For the later years, like your 1965, both fixed roof and sliding roof wagons were called Wagonaires. If you look at the tailgate of an original 1963 fixed roof wagon, you will see the absence of the Wagonaire nameplate that went on sliding roof wagons.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Gary A. - Your picture appears to show a 1963 wagon, not a 1963 "Wagonaire." In 1963, only sliding roof wagons were Wagonaires. When the sliding roof was deleted, it was just a station wagon. For the later years, like your 1965, both fixed roof and sliding roof wagons were called Wagonaires. If you look at the tailgate of an original 1963 fixed roof wagon, you will see the absence of the Wagonaire nameplate that went on sliding roof wagons.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bams50
08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Yes, it is a fixed-roof car. Gary recounts the history and his acquisition of it on his website, along with his Wagonaire, garage, and the long saga of the M-series pickup! Well worth checking out[^]

(Although for some reason his e-mail links never generate a response)

Parish, central NY 13131

[b]"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

bams50
08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Yes, it is a fixed-roof car. Gary recounts the history and his acquisition of it on his website, along with his Wagonaire, garage, and the long saga of the M-series pickup! Well worth checking out[^]

(Although for some reason his e-mail links never generate a response)

Parish, central NY 13131

[b]"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

garyash
08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Gord, hat sections are great for stiffening things up. When I made the floor for my M5, there wasn't any good way to put in the original stamped-in ribs, so I welded hat section under the floor. My hat section pieces came from Home Depot - I used those green steel fence posts for putting up wire fence. The little clips make good drain holes. They come in several weights and are very cheap. To curve them, I just sawed V notches in the "crown" of the hat and rewelded after bending.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/post_green.jpg

It looks like I will be needing some more to finish off the floors of my '63 "station wagon" [per Gary L.].

Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard

garyash
08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Gord, hat sections are great for stiffening things up. When I made the floor for my M5, there wasn't any good way to put in the original stamped-in ribs, so I welded hat section under the floor. My hat section pieces came from Home Depot - I used those green steel fence posts for putting up wire fence. The little clips make good drain holes. They come in several weights and are very cheap. To curve them, I just sawed V notches in the "crown" of the hat and rewelded after bending.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/post_green.jpg

It looks like I will be needing some more to finish off the floors of my '63 "station wagon" [per Gary L.].

Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard

gordr
08-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Here's today's update: cut some rotten flooring out of the driver's side, and, gee, there wasn't much left. Lookin' mighty sparse, to say the least. I grafted pieces onto the diagonal floor strut, and onto the piece of angle that backs the rocker panel, and tied them into what's left of the "A" pillar base. Believe it or not, I can now grab the driver's door and heave up and down on it, and the entire car rocks, but the base of the "A" pillar does not move relative to the floor. Next step is to fill in some floor panels. Ultimately, I will have to remove the front fender(s) to properly restore the "A" pillars.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/WagonaireFloor2.jpg

gordr
08-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Here's today's update: cut some rotten flooring out of the driver's side, and, gee, there wasn't much left. Lookin' mighty sparse, to say the least. I grafted pieces onto the diagonal floor strut, and onto the piece of angle that backs the rocker panel, and tied them into what's left of the "A" pillar base. Believe it or not, I can now grab the driver's door and heave up and down on it, and the entire car rocks, but the base of the "A" pillar does not move relative to the floor. Next step is to fill in some floor panels. Ultimately, I will have to remove the front fender(s) to properly restore the "A" pillars.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/WagonaireFloor2.jpg

Captain Billy
08-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Does anyone have the aluminum strip with the S T U D E B A K E R,
lettering for sale, I'm looking for a good used or NOS piece?
I know the letters are available but I have been unable to find a quality backer.

Bill

Bill Foy,Ontario SDC
1964 Wagonaire Slider
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z252/caprisx/StAndrews07136.jpg

54-61-62
08-09-2008, 11:01 AM
This thread has given me some inspiration for my fixed-roof daytona wagon. I've yet to get it home from a friends, but I think it will make a good cheap project. It will be a bit before I will get around to working on it, but does anybody have a rear tailgate glass for a fixed rood wagon? Also would like to convert electric window to hand crank so I could use those parts too.

studeclunker
08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey Bill, how does this one look?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/Daytona%20Twin/HPIM0338.jpg

'Course, all I have to do is figure how to get the silly thing off... right? This wagon has some serious problems and is my parts car. It has provided a number of useful parts to quite a few people.:D

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Ron Smith

studeclunker
08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey Bill, how does this one look?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/Daytona%20Twin/HPIM0338.jpg

'Course, all I have to do is figure how to get the silly thing off... right? This wagon has some serious problems and is my parts car. It has provided a number of useful parts to quite a few people.:D

Ron Smith

Captain Billy
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Looks pretty good Ron, are you looking to part with it?
How does it stand up to dog drool?
Bill

Bill Foy,Ontario SDC
1964 Wagonaire Slider

Captain Billy
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Looks pretty good Ron, are you looking to part with it?
How does it stand up to dog drool?
Bill

Bill Foy,Ontario SDC
1964 Wagonaire Slider

gordr
08-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Billy, I might have an extra one of those aluminum trim strips. I will have to take inventory and make sure.

And I'm also pretty sure I have the frameless glass as used in the fixed-roof wagons. I know for sure I saved one once; have to try and find it.

gordr
08-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Billy, I might have an extra one of those aluminum trim strips. I will have to take inventory and make sure.

And I'm also pretty sure I have the frameless glass as used in the fixed-roof wagons. I know for sure I saved one once; have to try and find it.

gordr
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Update as of August 14:

I took last weekend off and made a quick road trip to Helena, MT. I saw a couple of Studes there, and will post pics in a new thread. I spent a few hours each day since then working on the Wagonaire. I'm now done with it for a while. It's by no means finished, but I've reached a convenient place to set it aside for a while. Both front floors are now complete. The left side was a real bear, as there was nothing left of the "A" pillar below the lower hinge pocket. I had to build 4 sides, a bottom to the hinge pockets, and fair it into the door sill, and tie it into the floor bracing. Once the floor bracing was done, laying down new sections of floor and welding them in was simple. I used sections of metal with ribbing pressed into them cut from scrap Studebaker bodies, plus a little new sheet steel where it was appropriate. Then I pulled down the firewall insulation pad, and found a big hunk of the firewall missing, from above the gas pedal all the way to the kick panel. I trimmed that hole back to sound metal, and welded in new pieces, using a double thickness in the crucial area between the gas pedal and the rear side of the strut to which the inner fender is bolted. None of this is very pretty, but it sure is solid. I bolted the seats back in place, since all further floor repairs will be well back of them; and mostly on the driver's side. The front clip will have to come off, and the "A" pillars and kick panel areas welded and cleaned up from the outside, but that will have to be a separate job. I got the brakes bled, and gave the car a run around the yard. It feels like a car again. Here's a pic of the repaired left floor. Except for a narrow strip running from the throttle linkage hole to the upper half of the dimmer switch pocket, pretty well all the floor in the picture is newly-built. It was a lot of work. Probably 30+ hours, but I didn't punch a clock.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/gordintrochu/Miscellaneous/LeftFloor.jpg

I'm going to order a new left-side rocker panel, and a new firewall pad, and maybe a carpet set. Next repair session (whenever that may happen) will entail the previously-mentioned kick panel areas, and also the floor corner near the left rear dogleg.

Mark57
08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

RE: Update as of August 14:

So Gord, when do you sleep? ;)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/57TranstarSM.jpg