PDA

View Full Version : Headliner cement

John Kirchhoff
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for the best cement to use when installing a headliner?

John Kirchhoff
11-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks! I appreciate your advice.

rdmaxon
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
On the "shell" type headliner installations I use 3M 08090 to glue the fabric/foam material. As a an interesting coincidence,I just replaced the headliner on my wife's 1995 Saturn not 15 minutes ago. Richard

Skip Lackie
11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
3M sells a line of adhesives for all kinds of applications. Spray cans are much better for big jobs like headliners. The one that is designed for headliners is called (I think) Super Trim Adhesive. The number is 8090. The other, less strong, products are numbered 8080, 8070, etc. Follow the instructions exactly, especially WRT allowing it to tack up before putting the two items together. Do it right, as you'll only get one chance.

Buy a fresh can, as I have had bad luck with stuff that's a couple of years old (why this stuff should go bad just from sitting in a sealed spray can, I don't know . . . ). 3M products are sold by most auto paint supply houses and some serious auto parts stores.

Skip

DilloCrafter
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
A caution about the spray adhesives - DO use the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (I'll take these guys' words for the part number, as it sounds like I remember). The good stuff will spray without any misting. I had previously tried some 3M "77", from Home Depot, but it was very misty, and got all over the whole interior! Get the right stuff, and you'll probably have to look for it at an auto parts or auto paint store.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

John Kirchhoff
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I got my headliner installed this evening. I took you guys advice on the 3M spray adhesive. That's great stuff and works wonderfully. Thanks a lot, fellows!