PDA

View Full Version : Steering column swap ?

Orestudeguy
11-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I haven't done one on a Stude, so here's my question.
Going to change a 64 Wagonaire from a manual column shift to a auto trans.
I have parts vehicle that I can get all the stuff I need from. So, what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

George
65 Commander 2door
64 Wagonaire 3 now!
63 Champ
63 GT Hawk
51 Champion Starlight Coupe

gordr
11-05-2006, 03:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Orestudeguy

I haven't done one on a Stude, so here's my question.
Going to change a 64 Wagonaire from a manual column shift to a auto trans.
I have parts vehicle that I can get all the stuff I need from. So, what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

George
65 Commander 2door
64 Wagonaire 3 now!
63 Champ
63 GT Hawk

That shouldn't be too hard, assuming you simply want to change the column jacket and shift mechanism.

1. Remove the steering wheel, using a suitable puller. Before doing so, make sure there is a pair of index marks so that the wheel can be reinstalled in the correct position.

2. Disconnect the shift rods from the levers at the bottom of the column, and remove the reverse lamp switch if it lives down there. Slack off the clamp that secures the base of the column to the steering box.

3.Disconnect (unplug) the turn signal and horn wires, and look for any other wires or devices that may be attached to the column under the dash, and deal with them as required.

4. Remove the screws that hold the oval steel trim plate around the column, and free up the rubber seal around the base of the column. It'll be pretty obvious here what you have to do.

5. Remove the screws that hold the column bracket to the base of the dash, saving any shims you find here. That should free the column jacket for removal. If you simply twist and pull on it, it should slide right out.

Installing the replacement should be the reverse of removal. The metal trim for where it passes through the floor is different between a manual and automatic car; the manual shift car has an "ear" with a hole in the top left corner of the trim ring to accomodate the clutch linkage rod. So use the trim part from the auto car.

If I remember right, the auto tranny column has the neutral safety-backup lamp switch inside the car, and the manual column mounts the backup lamp switch outside the firewall. You may have to relocate some wires, and wires will have to be run for the neutral safety.

I may have neglected some small details, but you shouldn't run into any nasty pitfalls.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Orestudeguy
11-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Gord.
I appreciate your help!

George
65 Commander 2door
64 Wagonaire 3 now!
63 Champ
63 GT Hawk