Started R-2 Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started R-2 Yesterday

I started my 63 Hawk r-2 yesterday. This was the first time I have had time to play with it sence I got it. I drained the gas tank, installed new gas lines and cleaned the filter. Changed the oil and filter. I cranked it over on the starter to see if oil press would come up and it started and ran a few seconds and died. The float was stuck and flooded it. I pulled the top of the carb. and cleaned it and started it again. Then I shut it off to put water in it and a freeze plug was out, so I replaced that and filled it with antifreeze and started it again. The engine sounds very good and has good oil press. it does smoke a little but now I know it will be a easy rebuild.

Neat car. Mine smoked when I first got it. It smoked badddddddd. After driving it on a semi-regular basis, and changing the oil a couple of time, the exhaust runs clear. Now if it didn't leak..........

Comment

Congrats!

The smoking might be valve guide seals. They are easily replaced without removing the heads. Might be worth a try.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ditto what Dick said. Run it for a while first though. It won't hurt anything, and you will get a better assessment of its overall condition. Then, if the smoke stops, you can still change the valve guide seals anyway to prevent the smoke on startup. Looks like a fabulous car. Did you check your engine mounts and trans mount? If they are good.... Burn rubber! ! ! !

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Great news! It's always great to have another Stude revving up! I hope the rest of your refurb goes easily,

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey!!! Is that what I see?? An R-2 rose mist Hawk?? Congrats & keep us informed of your progress. Tell us more, trans, rear end, serial #, ect. Have you sent for your production broadcast? Drive it & you will enjoy it!

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi Warren, This R-2 ser. # 63v-26594, engine # jts1568, it is a auto floor shift. disc. brakes and that is about it. I have just finished my 59 pickup and will play with the hawk awhile before I jump into it. Things I need to find out about are who does woodgrain dash, who rebuilds superchargers, also the trunk over lay needs new paint or what ever that was in black. The rest is just normal stuff. paint, uph, brakes ect. ect. But I think the rose mist will look good. I hope they make uph in that color too. Thanks for asking, TMAN0950

Comment

The original color was Rose Mist and the car did not have buckets,TT or heavy duty suspension.

It is an addiction!
                It is an addiction!

Comment

Hey Terry,

Forum member 63larkcustom sent me info a while back on a company that can mix Rose Mist paint:

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

(858) 909-2150

Their website lets you drill down by make and year and find your color chip online. Pretty cool! They're located in San Diego.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X