PDA

View Full Version : Black hole spotted on 1950 Champion

Lothar
08-03-2008, 01:54 AM
I am rewiring my 1950 Champion. In the process of doing that, I have come to wonder about this plug in the firewall (see picture below:)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/lotharhp/fwplug3hole0808.jpg

It has three holes: one is for the speedometer cable, another for the oil pressure gauge line, what is the third hole for? Wiring? If so, what? Any ideas are appreciated!

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

StudeRich
08-03-2008, 02:17 AM
I don't know, but I have seen some years with an extra hole impression there, to be punched out if needed for an accessory like the windshield washer to bellows hose or something. Someone could have punched it out for a long gone accessory or whatever, if everything works when you finish I would not worry too much! [^] :D

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I am rewiring my 1950 Champion. In the process of doing that, I have come to wonder about this plug in the firewall (see picture below:)
It has three holes: one is for the speedometer cable, another for the oil pressure gauge line, what is the third hole for? Wiring? If so, what? Any ideas are appreciated!

Maybe for an overdrive control cable (if the car doesn't have OD).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

jjones
08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I suspect that many common parts such as firewall grommets were made for a number of different applications and were used through several model years. The extra hole could be for a choke cable, a mechanical temp gauge, hood cable, etc.

Lothar
08-03-2008, 02:52 PM
The car does have overdrive, and the overdrive cable, by necessity due to its location under the dash, comes through a different hole (seen on lower right) as does the hood latch.
I have looked at a 2 door sedan thats pretty original, but custom trim, (mine is deluxe level trim) and it's grommet only had two holes: one for the speedo cable, another for the oil gauge line.
It could very well be that the hole is unneeded, I just want to be reassured that there aren't supposed to be some wires coming through it.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

countryboy
08-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Lothar, just to mention that the speedometer cable is suppose to have a braded ground cable wrapped around the speedometer cable at that rubber grommet with the ground cable attached to the two screws of the metal cover around the grommet. That is, if your car has a radio on her that works. The braded cable is suppose to help prevent picking up noise from the speedometer cable on the radio.

Dwain G.
08-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Referring to your other wiring post Lothar, on the late style cars that didn't come with turn signal wiring already in the harness. The front turn signal harness supplied in kit AC-2100 is shown coming through that third hole.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Lothar
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Dwain
I think that you have the best explanation for the mysterious third hole. My wiring harness was modified (torn up) by a previous owner. There were wires for the headlights coming through there, but they weren't original, so I wasn't sure they were supposed to be there. Thanks.

Countryboy
I didn't know about the braided wire. Do I understand correctly that this would be an uninsulated wire that starts at one grommet screw, makes a wrap or two around the speedo cable, and then goes to the other screw? I do have a radio. It doesn't work now, but its my intent to get it repaired.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

rockne10
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
quote:I didn't know about the braided wire. Do I understand correctly that this would be an uninsulated wire If so equipped, this would be exactly like the flat braided battery ground strap except much much much smaller.

countryboy
08-05-2008, 11:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lothar

Countryboy
I didn't know about the braided wire. Do I understand correctly that this would be an uninsulated wire that starts at one grommet screw, makes a wrap or two around the speedo cable, and then goes to the other screw? I do have a radio. It doesn't work now, but its my intent to get it repaired.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

Sorry I don't have a picture to send you, it is not a wire but is a braided bunch of wires about 1/4 inch wide, but a bit smaller than 1/4 inch, and just as you have imagined that connects to one screw, wraps around the speedometer cable a couple of turns and then connects the other end of the braid to the other screw. When I started my 50 Champion, being a know it all Electronics technician, when I saw that abortion wrapped around the speedometer cable, I took it off the car and threw the braided cable away, only to later get another 50 Studebaker, and low and behold the other 50 Stumpjumper was a Commander, and it had the same set up wrapped around the speedometer cable. Second thought, I just found the electrical interference page about gounding stuff for the radio. Just hope this IMAGE thingie works here.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/RedCharger67/studebaker/radioint.jpg

Lothar
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Great information, Countryboy! Thanks a million! I assume I can get this braided ground at Radioshack or someplace like that?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE