Front junction wiring 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front junction wiring 1950 Champion

I am rewiring my Champion with a Stude West harness and its going great so far. On the front junction blocks for the wiring, I'm having trouble deciding whether my existing wiring is wrong...or just different.
    My Champion is a later production W-3 with the 3 terminal junction blocks vs. 5 terminal on earlier models and in most of the manuals. On top of that, the previous owner got a buddy to help him wire the lights using whatever colored wire was on hand.
    Here's my dilemma: The original wiring from the light cans was connected to the driver's side front junction block in this order top-to-bottom: black, red, Black-white stripe (I think). They wired the green wire (turn signal) with a separate terminal. See below:

The "official" Studebaker wiring diagram appears to show, top to bottom: red, black, green, no mention of the black-white striped wire. I can see how the black and red terminals could be reversed and it would still work (which it did), as long as you're consistent on both lights.
    My new harness has two red and one white wire, two black and two green wires bundled into their respective ring connector terminals. Who can help me match up this mess?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I can't say exactly without studying the correct wiring Diagram, but you should be able to tell from it, and by following the mating wires to the headlights, parking lights and Horn which harness wires match up to which outgoing unit wires. If those ratty ones on there are them, it looks like you will be making new ones!

Usually Red =Headlights Lights (Hi beam), Green = Parking and Black is either low beam or Horns. Remember if the car has turn signals they most likely were added, since they were accessories and may have their own separate connections or even harness.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I do need to rewire the headlight sockets, but I haven't torn into them yet. I also do have turn signals, which I always thought were factory-installed (they are Studebaker parts, not aftermarket) but maybe they were put on by the dealer.
      I guess a more specific question, understanding that red and black are for the headlights and green for the turn signal/park lights, is: what is the correct order for the wires on the junction, top to bottom? Is it red-black-green?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

You're right, red-black-green. I think the other end of that white wire goes back to the dimmer switch. Your turn signal wiring is separate from the main wiring because on the 'late' cars the factory changed the harness eliminating the built-in wires for turn signals and fog lights.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
        X