Packards and Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packards and Studebakers

Is the 56 Packard engine in the Clipper the same as the one in the Golden Hawk? Would it be worth parting out a 56 Clipper that ran just to get the engine and trans? I don't know the value of the Clipper to make the determintation.

sals54
    sals54

According to the Packard book, the 56 Clipper Custom and Executive had the 352 with 275 HP and the Clipper Super & Deluxe had the 352 with 240 HP.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Not even worth the labor to pull it in my opinion. I almost had to give away a Packard 352.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Hi, JDP,

Too bad you are on the wrong coast. I'd a been there for you and still like to get 352" when I can. They aren't worth big bucks, but they don't eat much while waiting for a customer who wants one built.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

The answer to your question is "yes," Sal, but you live in CA, don't you? Is the Clipper so bad that it should be parted out? The tail light lenses are readily available, but the housings bring good money as they are popular with customizers to this day...but as a '56 Clipper hardtop owner, I'd just as soon see all of them stay on nicely-restored '56 Clippers, of course! Wishful thinking, I realize....BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I finally got a chance to see the car up close and I think you are right. This car is a 2 door hardtop and even the flippers still work. Surface rust only except for a small area in front of the rear wheels. Solid floors and trunk. Missing a rear window, but it does run and is otherwise 98% complete. The owner was listing it as a parts car so I did not get my hopes up. After seeing it, though, It is definitely worth getting on the road. Do you know what the market value is on a 2 dr HT Clipper?

sals54
            sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Bob, I finally got a chance to see the car up close and I think you are right. This car is a 2 door hardtop and even the flippers still work. Surface rust only except for a small area in front of the rear wheels. Solid floors and trunk. Missing a rear window, but it does run and is otherwise 98% complete. The owner was listing it as a parts car so I did not get my hopes up. After seeing it, though, It is definitely worth getting on the road. Do you know what the market value is on a 2 dr HT Clipper?

sals54
              Sadly, Sal, it isn't anywhere near the value of a comparable Buick Century or Olds Super 88. 1955-1956 Packards, as much as I love 'em and as nice as they are to drive, are pretty cheap.

You can probably buy the nicest '56 Clipper 2-dr HT in the country for less than $25,000, and I mean the nicest one. Typical "driver" examples will be in the $6000-$8000 range.

Determine if it is a Super or a Custom. Customs are the more expensive and were only made half the model year, because the Clipper Custom series was discontinued in the spring when the mid-price Packard Executive line was introduced.

Supers were the lower-priced of the two 1956 Clipper hardtop models, and were made all year. (Mine is a Super, built March 27, 1956; #3095 of 3999 made.)

The script at the front of the front fenders will say Custom or Super. If the script is missing, Customs have stainless-steel rocker panel moldings and Supers do not. If the exterior has all the trim missing, Customs have a 4-bbl carb and Supers have a 2-bbl. (All Clippers have 352 engines in 1956.)

If the car is real bad and all the trim and engine are missing(!), look on the Serial Number plate on the driver's door jamb: The first four digits of a Custom hardtop's Serial Number will be 5667. The first four digits of a Super hardtop's Serial Number will be 5647.

After the first four digits will be a dash (-), then the car's sequential serial number within that model, beginning with 1001. For example, my 1956 Clipper Super's Serial Number is 5647-4095. From that, you can tell just by looking at the plate that it was the "3,095th" 1956 Clipper Super Hardtop manufactured.

I do like these cars and would like to hear more about this one if you get it. I'm not interested in buying it, but will give you a hand getting anything you need for it, additional info, etc. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, Thanks for the quick heads up. By your description it is a Super. The missing parts are the rear bumper and the back glass. The rest of the car is there. Even the tail lights are still intact. The guy does not want a lot of money for it. He's talking in the 1K range, but I think it could be had for less. For a car that runs, I'm thinking it could be worth getting. I just don't know that much about Packards, so I'm a bit hesitant.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Bob, Thanks for the quick heads up. By your description it is a Super. The missing parts are the rear bumper and the back glass. The rest of the car is there. Even the tail lights are still intact. The guy does not want a lot of money for it. He's talking in the 1K range, but I think it could be had for less. For a car that runs, I'm thinking it could be worth getting. I just don't know that much about Packards, so I'm a bit hesitant.

sals54
                  Yes, Sal; it is worth it if it runs and you can more-or-less drive it away for less than $1,000. I'm certain someone might come up with an example...but right now, I can't think of a single domestic 1950s two-door hardtop that you can drive away, that isn't worth just under $1,000.

Ironically, that's the very situation I was faced with when looking at my Super Hardtop in September 1992. I drove it home for well under $1,000 and had several non-Packard enthusiasts ask me, "Do you want your money back?" (Understand, it did need complete body and paint and some interior work; I didn't steal it!)

Chances are better than 2-to-1 that the one you are looking at is a Super: They built 1,466 1956 Custom Hardtops (also called Constellations, although that was downplayed in 1956), whereas they built 3,999 1956 Super Hardtops (also called Panamas, but that was also downplayed in 1956).

Buy it! BP

Comment

Also considering that 1956 was the "Last"year for Packards, as Curtiss-Wright killed the brand that year, and closed the Detroit (Conner Avenue) factory.

I read somewhere that a Studebaker executive stated "Once the Lark sells well, we'll concentrate on the Hawks, when they sell well we'll consider a new Packard" which of course never happened.

I intend to one day own a Packard too. But for now getting the Lark back on the road(still $1300 to save to pay for it) then add the insurance and historic (90 days a year) registration and away I go.

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

According to the Packard book, the 56 Clipper Custom and Executive had the 352 with 275 HP and the Clipper Super & Deluxe had the 352 with 240 HP.
                      The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

quote:Originally posted by lstude

'Not sure I understand the question, but that's what it is: 352/4bbl=275HP; 352/2bbl=240HP. 'Nuff said...I think! BP

Comment

Bob,

Was the difference in HP on the 374 (295 & 310 I believe) due to 2 four barrels vs. one?

An unknowing Decimal Dude

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Bob,

Was the difference in HP on the 374 (295 & 310 I believe) due to 2 four barrels vs. one?

An unknowing Decimal Dude
                            Yes, Gary; they liked to stay a half-inch in front of Cadillac:

1956 Packard: 374 CID. 290HP/1X4-bbl; 310HP/2X4bbl (Caribbean)

1956 Cadillac: 365 CID. 285HP/1X4bbl; 305HP/2X4bbl (Eldorado)

(Kinda' makes you wonder if Cadillac posted their values first...!) BP

Comment

Working...
                            X