New guy says hello....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy says hello....

I just signed up here today and would like to say hello to everyone. My name is Dave and I live in the Louisville, KY area. I'm in the process of purchasing a 1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan and I have a question. How do you tell the difference between a Regal, Deluxe and Custom? There isn't any chrome on the sides of the one I'm buying so my guess is that it's the base model Custom, but I don't know for sure. If someone could tell me how to tell the three versions of the '50 Champion apart I would appreciate it. Thanks....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Dave, a BIG OL' FAT WELCOME TO YOU!!!
    Without pickin' at details, look on the body tag of this sedan. That tag is located on the engine side of the firewall and it's gonna have a line that starts out "9G-F* The number that'll be where that asterisk is is gonna tell us what the trim level is. 1 would be a Custom (the most austerely decorated), 3 would be the Deluxe trim level and 5 would be the Regal Deluxe trim level.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ol' guy sez hello back Welcome to the forum, Dave! You'll find a lot of like-minded nuts here! Glad to have you aboard.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hello and WELCOME Dave. Get you a parts manual and a service manual
        for a starter, and you will find they are very valuable. Read any literature on your year stude. You can get a lot of help here also.
        Just type in 1950 Studebaker and you wil get a lot of info and pictures on the internet.My 53 came from Glasgow Kentucky. How far is that from you? Welcome again, to this crazy bunch.

Tex in Alabama

53 C coupe
        53 4-dr
        55 4-dr

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Welcome Dave; very glad to have you join us!

Some of us might be getting older, (who's that?) but we're still able to figure out this "puter thing"! [:0] You will find that we are very passionate about South Bend's Finest (and Hamilton Ontario Canada's too)! []

We're here to help, so don't be afraid to ask a "dumb" question, as none really are, OK?

Rich.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I'm picking up the car on Saturday so I'll figure out what version it is then. I bought a shop manual on Ebay yesterday for $7.25 including shipping so that should be money well spent. If I have any problems with it this will be the first place I come. Also, Glasgow is just east of Bowling Green, which is about 100 miles south of Louisville. Thanks again...........Dave

Comment

Dave,

Welcome aboard!

In addition to joining the Forum, have you also joined the SDC?
              TURNING WHEELS, the monthly magazine will supply tons more information than we can impart here, only less timely.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome to the forum..If you have questions. Someone here is sure to have the answer.

Comment

Dave,
                  Welcome to the asylum (only kidding). The 2 door sedan, my opinion, is second only to the Star Light Coupe. The '50 & '51 are good looking cars. Best of luck.
                  Try to find a nearby locel SDC chapter. You'll have more fun shooting the breeze with like minded folks.
                  Go to car flea markets. You'll find a wealth of info on your car, from literature to parts vendors. Of course, I'm speaking about Stude flea markets. The national meets are great for rubbing elbows with fellow Stude nuts & learning about your car.
                  Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Dave! Lots of good folks, fun and info here.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Welcome Dave.You have come to the right place to learn about Studes.And it seems to me a lot of Daves are attracted to Studes.Is it something in the paint?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

According to the Forum member list, we have 38 Daves, 49 Davids, 67 Bobs, 37 Roberts and only 9 Brads.

Seems odd we would have more Davids than Daves, but more Bobs than Roberts.

I only mention it because it's important stuff.[)]

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There should be fewer Daves than Davids as it is a nickname for the longer, more formal name.

As for there being more Bobs than Roberts, that's easy to explain. We don't have to remember which b comes first. So there are more Bobs than Roberts.

And thanks for bringing an important issue to the forefront, Brad.

Maybe you could register 30 more times and outnumber the Daves.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I always thought there were too many Bobs here... and now I know it's true!

Welcome, Dave... if you were a Bob we may have peer-pressured you into changing to Aluicious or something

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I'll probably join the club this weekend. Also, my father's name is Bob....

Comment

Working...
                              X