52 Gas tank needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Gas tank needed

I've just found out my tank is past the point of no return. Does anyone have a lead to reproduction or nos tanks? Thank you.
    Joe

For any car or truck?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Sorry people, the car is a champion coupe model 12G
      Joe

Comment

Your definition of "the point of no return" may be different than mine. Considering the number of tanks in any condition is finite, is yours just more trouble than you want to deal with?

You can probably find one in better condition than what you've got but, I've seen some that can only be described as partial (meaning major upper half gone), repaired and installed in show cars. If you find one, don't discard what you've got.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I was replacing the fuel line, when the tank cracked at the solder joint. I took it to a repair shop and they said it was rusted out. I don't agree 100% with them because there is no rust out at all on the outside, just inside. I'm taking it to a shop Thursday to see if it can be stripped and soldered.

Comment

Joe,

I was gonna look for you today. I think I have a couple of tanks. Condition unkown, but we might get lucky. I'll look tomorrow

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have an old-school radiator shop here that fixes them. He built a machine that tumbles the tank with legths of chain in them. He washes, then boils the tank. He then tumbles it till he's satisfied they're clean, then cuts a hole on the top to carefully inspect the inside; then boil again. When it's perfectly shiny inside he welds the patch back in, and coats the tank inside and out with sealer. Last one he did for me was only $225.

Maybe you can find one in your area. There's also a franchise company that has a product for this that I've yet to use. I believe it's called "Gas Tank Renu". Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Thanks guys for the information. The place I'm taking it to is a radiator repair shop as well, so I hope it can be saved. I will let you know.

Joe

Comment

If you are close to a "metal stripper" where they have the large tanks to strip paint and rust off car bodies, tehy can dip the tank, (the tank on my 52 cost me $35 to dip strip it. Came out perfectly clean inside and out. I used a sealer called Red-Kote about $25 a quart, available from the rad shop. no problems.

Jim

"We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks again for the input. I'm stripping the tank myself with muriatic acid, available at hardware and swimming pool stores. I've used this before on a 1928 model A and it is great. The government has put an end to derusting gas tanks according to my rad man, but he told me what he'd do. I will let you know the results. Looking good so far.
                    Joe

Comment

Joe, I have two tanks for a '52. One's got some rust flakes rattling around inside, but it looks fairly decent spyin' thru the filler hole. The other one didn't audibly have anything rattling around in it, but I'd have to get a mirror and flashlight to inspect it for sure - same with the other one.
                      Boxing and shipping to Canada will no doubt be pricey. Contact me if you wanna pursue.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X