This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur Hawk RS

Seeing the recent posting of photos of the Excalibur race car had me interested in finding some more information. I had seen this car at Indianapolis in the 70's.

In searching for more information, I found that a gentleman in the 1990's had obtained original drawings from Stevens to make the roadster that was never built.

Unfortunately, they chose to make what they considered to be updates, such as a GT 40 style nose. Lamborghini style doors. However, the heritage is still there.

It was named the Excalibur Hawk RS.

I can't get over the machining for the exhaust hangers and tips, with internal baffeling. Amazing!

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
    Here are two links for some pictures and information.
    Slide Show
    Magazine Article
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

That is a beautifully crafted machine.

I am curious to know if the triangular fins found on other racing Excaliburs were in the original drawings. The coupe had them as did the head fairings on the track roadsters, painted with the red-white-blue tri-color stripe on the rear edge.

Here's another example from the period between the SSK and the Coupe:

Andy
    62 GT
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Here's a link to more pic's:
      Excaliburs were the proud product of the mind of Brooks Stevens. Stevens, an industrial designer, wanted to create an affordable American sports car. His fi...

Has some pretty lines to it.
      But... It fits into the same category as the 'glass '39 CE

Exhaust tips look like a pasta extruder from H#!!..[:0]
      Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here's another nice shot of the Excalibur Hawk racer that shows what the nose should have looked like...far superior IMO.

That rear quarter panel is very "Mach 5".

Andy
        62 GT
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

This car appeared in the Studes in Roadside America photos tread. Here is a Youtube video that belongs here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92mrs93D4TI

Comment

What about this one?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk?.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1688787

Comment

This is the best looking of the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                That is a beautifully crafted machine.

I am curious to know if the triangular fins found on other racing Excaliburs were in the original drawings. The coupe had them as did the head fairings on the track roadsters, painted with the red-white-blue tri-color stripe on the rear edge.

Here's another example from the period between the SSK and the Coupe:

Andy
                62 GT
                This one seems to me to be the most coherent. It looks all of one piece and all of one period. The others not as much.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                X