57 Silver Hawk tail light housing installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Silver Hawk tail light housing installation

I'm in process of installing a set of fins on my 1957 Silver Hawk (they were discarded in 1989). I found a set of tail light housings and have mounted the fins. I don't have any bolts or brakets for the tail light housings. What keeps them in place? Do they overlap the outer finder and inner fins sheet metal or do they butt right up to them? Are there stand offs that keep the housings the right distance way from the body (snug right against it). Are there brackets or spacers that keep the housings from shifting from left to right?

Words or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Rogers

The tail light housings should align with the edges of the quarter/fin. There is no overlap, and no rubber gasket (like GT Hawks have). Use the (2) hex-head body screws, and (2) Phillips screws to adjust the width/alignment of the body to the match the housing. This should be done BEFORE body/paint work... but most people forget.
    (C)

There is a special bracket used to align the top of the housing- so it stays at a certain height (A)

There are (2) special J-clips that slide into the slots in the rear panel (B). They line up with the holes that the long mounting-screws go into. It is important to add an extra GROUND wire from the (chrome/painted) taillight housing to one of the quarter panel mounting bolts... They originally grounded through the mounting screws- but that is a typically bad connection.

I have the brackets, and J-clips if you need them...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Studeman,

Thanks much for the detailed reply. I'm short two of the j-clips. If you have a part number or source, please reply. I'm just about to fabricate a nut plate so I can attach it from behind and use standard machine screws. I don't have the original housing bolts and they appear to have a pretty coarse thread. I couldn't find anything similar at ACE hardware. I did buy a pair of the alignment brackets from Bob Peterson, but wasn't really sure where they mounted. Your reply was extremely helpful.

When I bought my 57 Silver Hawk, the fins were removed and too rusty to reuse. I finally bought a good pair of 59 fins and had to weld an extender in the front of the fin to make it look like the 57. Then I started mounting it and realized the original filled holes didn't really line up to meet the tail light housings. So I needed some guidance.

Your detailed help is an extreme help. Thanks much for the info and the time constructing it.

Mark

Mark Rogers

Comment

Ray- would you mind re-posting the picture that you talk about?

I got the special clips from you, but I only have one of the brackets and I'm not sure how that is intalled

Gallivan
        57 Golden Hawk
        Golden, CO
        Gallivan
        57 Golden Hawk
        Golden, CO

Comment

Sorry... that's what I get for cleaning up files on the website. I took another photo and posted it. Look in the post above...

Ray

Comment

Ray- thanks for the picture. That bracket had to be designed for something else- it's really not shaped for this use.

I am missing one of those, however. If you have one I'd like to buy it. Email me at mikeg4@q.com.

Gallivan
            57 Golden Hawk
            Golden, CO
            Gallivan
            57 Golden Hawk
            Golden, CO

Comment

G,
              Just send me your address, I have several extras. Yes, it was used for SEVERAL other things on Studebakers. It really does need to be there though, it helps keep the housings from shifting around, and you can line them up with the fincaps better.

Ray

Comment

Working...
              X