PDA

View Full Version : Chev engine mounts

gerrygreth
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
New to the group and would like some help. I have a George Barris custom 53 Champion. I know there must be ton of studebakers with chev s/b in them. Is there any manufacturer to anyone's knowledge that make a bolt or weld in mount for this conversion Thanks Gerry

Studebayker
11-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Gerry. You are really taxing my memory. I put a SBC in a 53 Stude
Champ back in 1959. Hurst made a saddle mount that bolted to the
front of the chevy, and used the original frame mounts. I think I
had to drill some new holes, but I don't know if they are still
avaliable. I even tapped the 12v battery, and used 6v to power
all of the guages, and only used 12v to start, and run the engine.
But I'm over Chevies now.

James K. Clark
East Tenn.
'55 Prez 2dr. Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

52 Ragtop
11-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Call Jon Myer at Myer Studebaker in Duncan Falls Ohio, he has them.

Jim Turner

gerrygreth
11-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the help, ordered from Myer today. Next are Turner disc:D

Mike
11-07-2006, 04:48 AM
The Hurst kit was three pieces:
The saddle mount for the front of the engine was deeper than the one for Ford chassis - a different series that also fit Dodge Lancer, I think.
The crossmember that fit under the Chevy bell housing and used '55 to '57 Chevy motor mounts reversed side for side, was a modified Stude part at first; but was changed to a simple piece of "J" channel with end plates, later.
The "crossmember stiffener" was a piece to install in the bottom center of the crossmember that held the center "U"-joint, when you installed a one piece drive shaft. The whole thing amounted to no more than a safety hoop, and added little stiffness.
These parts were sold as a package, or individually.
A '55 to '57 style bell housing, with the main engine mounts on it, was assumed. The engine block had to have the bosses cast in for the early front mounts, too.
Mike M.

N8N
11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Didn't they all have the bosses for the front engine mounts? I know they did as late as '73, and I thought that even when GM did the first major redesign of the block they kept the bosses, I seem to remember a mention of this in some of the auto mags.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Mike
11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Maybe all Chevy engines have the bosses. They were used for the front mounts in '55 to '57 Chevy's. I had to drill a '67 small block, but the bosses were there. Drilling was much easier than expected.
Mike

N8N
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
quote:Drilling was much easier than expected.

Heh. I'm not going to comment but I think someone probably will.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Mike
11-08-2006, 03:34 AM
It did make me question how hard that block was. Maybe Chevy makes them that way so the rings seat quicker!
Mike M.

skyway
11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Also, there is an OLD article from a magazine like Hot Rod that was reprinted in Turning Wheels a couple or three decades ago. You'd probably find it listed in one of those complete indexes to Turning Wheels.

The subject was rodding a Lowey around the then new Chevy SB. Included such details as moving the battery to the trunk, headers, Buick Skylark finned aluminum front drums, and a full belly pan. Seems like there may have even been fabricating diagrams.

Alan
11-08-2006, 08:19 PM
You have to butcher the front mounts on the early C's & K's to make it fit and it was designed for use of Ford flathead mounts. Which are thinner than the Stude mount if you use Stude mount rubber the engine will sit too high. That's for the Hurst saddle mount.

Mike
11-09-2006, 05:14 AM
If you have the Hurst saddle mount that was made for Chevy/Stude, you only need to cut the right side mount, if you use the Chevy mechanical fuel pump. The mount either bolts, or is riveted to the frame, (I've seen both, sometimes on the same car). It would be easily replaced, if someone reinstalled the Stude engine.
The Hurst instructions said to use two of the stock '55 to '57 Chevy rubber biscuits and formed washers between the saddle and frame mounts; and the Chevy insulator above the saddle. A long bolt goes through these.
I considered using Ford insulators, but the mount was designed for the Chevy parts, which mount the engine a little lower.
With the complete Hurst kit, the mounts on the bell housing carry most of the engine weight.
Mike M.

Dick Steinkamp
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mike

With the complete Hurst kit, the mounts on the bell housing carry most of the engine weight.

I've seen several installations where the Hurst (or Hurst type) front saddle mount was used in conjunction with a late style rear mount under the transmission. This turns the engine-bellhousing-transmission into a weak "bridge" that will fail at some point and most likely castastrophically.

If you use the front saddle mount, the rear MUST be mounted off the bell housing as Mike described. If you use front mounts off the side of the Chevy SB (near the middle of the block), then you can mount the rear off the bottom of the transmission.

If you are starting from scratch on a SBC installation, I sure wouldn't use the front saddle mount/bell housing mount method. Chevy did away with it in '58. The side mount/transmission mount allows newer, lighter, and more common parts to be used. Plenty of manufacturers out there that make universal type SBC mounts that you can easily adapt to the Stude chassis. Here's one...

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/

If you have a true George Barris custom, seems to me you might want to install the type of motor that was in the car when it was customized and shown. If that was a SBC, then you're on the right track. If not, you might want to rethink the SBC route.

http://static.flickr.com/100/292046667_cc1661ba0e_m.jpg